Thread: SSH key passphrase is no longer prompted for by GUI window the first time it's needed

Beans

Unhappy SSH key passphrase is no longer prompted for by GUI window the first time it's needed

Hi,

I'm using Xubuntu 18.04 Desktop.

Until recently the first time I did anything that required using my id_rsa key, a window would open prompting for the "passphrase" to unlock the key.

Now, when I ssh it prompts in the terminal for the passphrase every time, and if I try to using Remmina to make a VNC connection that tunnels through SSH, it fails with an error.

NOTE: I vaguely recall unchecking some checkboxes in the Session and Startup, Application Autostart tab a while ago (maybe around the time this started), but I have tried enabling what I think would be the ones that might affect this with no luck. That may be completely unrelated, but thought I should mention it.

So far I've worked out:

If I run ssh-add in the terminal and enter the passphrase then all the SSH connections work perfectly, ...until I reboot.

If I run env | grep SSH I get this:
    Code:
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/colin/.byobu/.ssh-agent
    SSH_AGENT_PID=2420
    The file /home/colin/.byobu/.ssh-agent is a symlink to: /tmp/ssh-hC8goIZugo6A/agent.2319

According to ps -ejH 2319 is the process id of a lightdm shell, and 2420 is the process id of the ssh-agent:
    Code:
    2201  1704  1704 ?        00:00:00     lightdm
    2319  2319  2319 ?        00:00:00       sh
    2420  2420  2420 ?        00:00:00         ssh-agent
    ...which all looks great, but now I'm stumped and no amount of searching has turned up any useful clues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)
    Last edited by colin-conway; October 25th, 2018 at 04:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: SSH key passphrase is no longer prompted for by GUI window the first time it's ne

Just a guess.

ssh-askpass on the system? There are different versions for each GUI, if you prefer to have a pop-up.
    I don't have 18.04, so can't check my guess.

Beans

Re: SSH key passphrase is no longer prompted for by GUI window the first time it's ne

Thanks TheFu!!

ssh-agent was installed, but your suggestion gave me a new direction in which to investigate and I stumbled upon this post:

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...post-id-116783

...in which I found that Launch GNOME Services On Startup wasn't checked (I think I unchecked this while "fixing" my laptop not sleeping issue.)