Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GNOME lock screen breaks sometimes in Ubuntu 18.10

Beans

GNOME lock screen breaks sometimes in Ubuntu 18.10

Hi,

Since I updated my laptop from Ubuntu 18.04 to 18.10 I have random issues with the lock screen. Sometimes when I press Alt+L, at first it looks like nothing happens. I can still see the desktop or the active window but I can't click on anything except the icons on the side panel. If I press Alt+L a second time, the lock screen finally appears, but I can still launch apps from the side bar. (screenshots in attachment)

If I log out and log back in it solves the lock screen issue for some time before the bug reappears. Am I the only one with this bug?

Thanks!

JF
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNOME lock screen breaks sometimes in Ubuntu 18.10

I'm seeing the exact same behavior. I have no idea what's causing it. It seems to occur more frequently when I run web-based video in fullscreen, but it could just be a coincidence. I also upgraded from 18.04 to 18.10.

Beans

Same here

Beans

Unhappy Re: GNOME lock screen breaks sometimes in Ubuntu 18.10

Experiencing similar on a laptop. When clicking Lock from the user icon in top right corner, the selected menu starts flickering and stays that way until the lid is closed. When opened again, the usual login screen (with time) is displayed. Please see attached screenshot. Looks like the presence of connected external monitor does not affect the issue. Happens only when locking from the menu, Super+L works fine.

Upgraded from 18.04 via cli on Thinkpad T450s.

Screenshot from 2018-10-26 09-56-39.jpg

Please check this bug on Launchpad and mark if it affects you too - this way there might be a quicker solution to the issue.
    Last edited by krvl; October 26th, 2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Correct link

Beans

Last edited by Plurtu; October 27th, 2018 at 01:30 PM.

Beans

Hi guys,
    same here, with the exception that the upgrade from 18.04 died in my hands for some reason. I then installed 18.10 cleanly for my newly formatted partition, while my /home remained untouched (with some possible relevant settings).
    I cannot find out what's triggering it, though. Seems like some gnome-shell binaries crash, from the syslogs ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Having a similar lockup problem with 18.04 when switching users. Desktop completely locks up when switching users. Have to do hold down power button, doing a hard shutdown, to restart PC to get back running again.
    Reported it in this thread and so far gotten no help.
    Bionic Beaver 18.04 locks up when attempting to switch users https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2403236
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Beans

I get the same problem on a clean install of 18.10 on a Lenovo ThinkPad T430

Beans

Same, for me, Lenovo L480.
    What I see also, is the "dock" notification icons (Discord, Skype and other) disappear after Screen Lock "bug".

Beans

Hello All,

I found a solution for the flickering lock screen o the other forum:

Simply type in terminal
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.shell.extensions.dash-to-dock transparency-mode FIXED
    And all problems gone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast