Thread: Remote from Raspberry Pi "thin client" to GUI Ubuntu guest on headless KVM host

Beans

Remote from Raspberry Pi "thin client" to GUI Ubuntu guest on headless KVM host

Hello All,

I've been googling for hours now with no luck. I'm playing with these technologies for the first time, so any direction would be greatly appreciated.

I have very minimal headless Ubuntu 18.04 LTS installation running on my desktop (installed from mini.iso). It has KVM installed and is running a guest VM with a less minimal, but still minimal Ubuntu 18.04 LTS installation with Gnome 3 (normal Desktop ISO, Lite installation or something like that, don't remember the exact terminology). I would like to access the guest remotely with a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian Stretch Lite with RPD installed. I am able to do this with this command from the Pi:
    Code:
    ssh -X user@kvmhost virt-manager
    which launches a remote virt-manager session from which I can access a GUI desktop of my guest; however, it is very laggy. I understand that SPICE is the protocol made for this sort of thing and that virt-viewer is a spice client, but everything I have tried has failed. My goal is to provide the remote GUI access like the virt-manager command above, except using spice, presumably providing much less latency. I don't want to manage KVM or the VM configuration via GUI; I will do that over SSH.)

I ran:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install spice-vdagent
    on the guest and it was already installed. I installed virt-viewer on the KVM host and on the Pi. From the Pi, I ran:
    Code:
    sudo virt-viewer --connect qemu+ssh://user@kvmhost/system guestname
    and I get "Failed to connect: Unsupported graphic type 'spice'". If I add port 5900 to that address, I get "Unable to connect to libvirt with URI".

I may have some of the fundamentals wrong. Any guidance is VERY much appreciated!
    Last edited by filonowst; October 22nd, 2018 at 02:41 AM.