Thread: Desktop "move to" operation gives me a strange error.

Beans

Desktop "move to" operation gives me a strange error.

When I perform a right click on a file and select the 'move to' or 'copy to' operation, I get an error saying folder contents cannot be displayed. It doesn't seem to remember the last folder I used or go to a default folder. This happens on both of my Ubuntu computers, and has done it since 18.04, I figured it was a bug that would be fixed in 18.10, so now that I've upgrade, it's still there, I'm puzzled. Does this happen to anyone else, how to I fix it?

moveerror.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Desktop "move to" operation gives me a strange error.

You might find some error into 'journalctl -b' that will help to understand that problem.
    Note that you only can move a file if: it is yours, it is not in use.

Beans

If this is just happening to files on the Desktop then it's par for the course, Gnome doesn't support the Desktop & Ubuntu does as little as possible to keep producing Ubuntu for desktop installs.

Beans

The files are all mine but this problem only occurs with files on the Desktop, but I have the same issue on multiple computers, weird huh? not sure what I'm looking for but only found one thing that might indicate something.

: open pipe file /run/rpc_pipefs/nfs/blocklayout failed: No such file or directory

Beans

Since I'm the only one having this issue apparently, it has to be something specific to my setup. Maybe it has to do with my home network? NFS file sharing or something? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cajones View Post
    Since I'm the only one having this issue apparently, it has to be something specific to my setup. Maybe it has to do with my home network? NFS file sharing or something? It doesn't make any sense to me.
    No, anyone you tries this with files on the Desktop will see the same. (with nautilus..

Beans

Yes, any folder or file that I try to 'move to' or 'copy to' gives me the same pop-up when the nautilus window opens. I can select a folder and proceed, but its annoying and something I would like to figure out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cajones View Post
    Yes, any folder or file that I try to 'move to' or 'copy to' gives me the same pop-up when the nautilus window opens. I can select a folder and proceed, but its annoying and something I would like to figure out.
    I thought this post was explanatory, if not I'll reiterate
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....5#post13810325

Beans

I got this... open pipe file /run/rpc_pipefs/nfs/blocklayout failed: No such file or directory

but I don't know what it means or if it could be related.