Thread: cannot install nvidia driver on laptop

Beans

cannot install nvidia driver on laptop

i'm trying to install nvidia drivers for a geforce 820m laptop running ubuntu 16.04, had no success installing version 410 from
    ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa and prime-select nvidia and prime-select query returned "unknown", also tried version 340 from additional drivers and it caused thesystem to run
    on low graphics mode,popOS(nvidia version) didn't work either, also it returned this installing the driver from the ppa
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_ver9_14.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_ver8_7.bin for module i915
    Last edited by first-in-charge; October 20th, 2018 at 12:48 AM. Reason: adding information

Beans

Re: cannot install nvidia driver on laptop

Those files are in the linux-firmware package. Install that with
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware
    Last edited by ubfan1; November 13th, 2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: change _ to -

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    Those files are in the linux-firmware package. Install that with
    sudo apt-get install linux_firmware
    that package was already installed in the system and both the warning and driver problem still unchanged

Beans

i just gave up and installed mint, in which i was able to install the package on nvidia website and after completely disabling nouveau (blacklisting it), and trying running it on the root terminal on the other boot options, in resume it was a pain in the ass.