Thread: Lubuntu upgrade from 18.04 to 18.10

Beans

Lubuntu upgrade from 18.04 to 18.10

Hello,

I tried to upgrade lubuntu from 18.04 to 18.10. The upgrade with the normal upgrade manger was no problem. But after restart I get errors. No real desktop environment only a broken menu. Could start some applications but not everything.

Looks like the upgrade from LXDE to LXQT doesn't work without problems.

I made a clean install afterwards and it worked without problems.

The new (desktop) environment is in a beta state. E.g. the connection to wlan open a console window with a text based config.

The startup time on a old netbook is ok.

I don't think it a stable release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Lubuntu upgrade from 18.04 to 18.10

Since this doesn't appear to be a support request,

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I'm afraid I have no help to offer other than "this affects me too. " Haven't had time to see if there's a bug report for this yet.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Lubuntu upgrade from 18.04 to 18.10

Here is my experience:

1. I used to have auto log-on on start up enabled on 18.04. Since updating, I'm greeted with a virtual keyboard on start-up. I have to click the pull down button to see the log-in screen.

2. (could be because I have a ten year old laptop) The system freezes for 10 seconds after I have put in my password and clicked Enter before showing the desktop. A 'Logging in...' message with a circling icon would be nice while I wait
    3. Double applications are mess (Simple scan & Skanlite, Transmission & QTransmission, LXTerminal & QTerminal, QLipper and KLipper...) Is there any way to remove ALL old Lubuntu 18.04 apps that have received a Qt alternative?
    4. I have two WiFi icons, one barely visisble. The sound icon and bluetooth icon are also barely visisble.
    http://trackmania-carpark.com/images...a33007a5d5.png

EDIT: here's the command that removes most unnecessary software

sudo apt purge leafpad file-roller galculator gpicview xpad xfburn simple-scan mtpaint pidgin sylpheed transmission-gtk abiword evince gnumeric audacious gnome-mpv guvcview pcmanfm gdebi lxterminal hardinfo lightdm lxpanel lxsession obconf gnome-software gnome-disk-utility system-config-printer-gnome lxhotkey-gtk synaptic update-manager lxpolkit lxtask lxshortcut blueman usb-creator-gtk
    Last edited by paeschli; October 20th, 2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Large image replaced with a link.

Beans

mine too plus when i changed my cpu from tf 20 to turion 68 on acer aspire 5516 it doesn't shutdown,reboot,suspend(WAKES UP IMITATIVELY) and from usb live the 18.10 cant install something about cdrom/casper fs
    Last edited by aXvMh1oi7oW3a; October 28th, 2018 at 07:02 PM.

Beans

In the release notes they went as far as saying:

The most major and notable problem is that upgrading Lubuntu from 18.04 to 18.10 causes a fair amount of issues. Therefore, we are not officially supporting this upgrade path at this time, however we have prepared a page in the Lubuntu Manual which can help address the problems that arise after the upgrade.
    It's not very stable and I don't expect it to be until maybe 20.04, but Lubuntu 18.04 is supported until April 2021.