Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperate situation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Desperate situation

I have been using Ubuntu 18.04 for quite a while. Today when I booted up my machine the downloads folder and music folder had disappeared. After spending much too long looking for a solution I decided to reinstall. Much to my surprise my internal dvd drive is no longer mounted and cannot be accessed for booting from my Ubuntu 18.04 DVD. I tried hooking up a usb cd/dvd, but even though I select it in BIOS the machine will not boot from it. The machine will only boot from the hard disk, so I am stuck with a broken version of Ubuntu 18.04. Anybody have any idea how I can put this back together?
    Escaping is easy; staying free is hard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Desperate situation

First check the 'global settings' menu to see if the hardware is found and well identified. lshw can list them all too.
    Then checking 'journalctl - b' or 'journalctl -b -1' will show you the main warnings (highlighted lines) and errors (red lines).
    Is your installation encrypted ? Also check that blkid and fstab are matching.

Beans

Hmm, don't change anything until you know what is broken. Using a broken machine to try and fix itself, can make things worse, since it can make computational and read/write errors.

I would first try to boot off a USB widget. If that doesn't work, I would put the HDD into a USB caddy and examine it with another machine and make a backup.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Have you tried Boot repair?

https://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-boot-repair

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    First check the 'global settings' menu to see if the hardware is found and well identified. lshw can list them all too.
    Then checking 'journalctl - b' or 'journalctl -b -1' will show you the main warnings (highlighted lines) and errors (red lines).
    Is your installation encrypted ? Also check that blkid and fstab are matching.
    lshw showed the dvd drive is there, but it does not show up in the places menu or in home. Also, if I select it in BIOS to boot the computer, it is ignored.

I ran bleachbit the other day, but I cannot see why that would delete folders and settings.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    Have you tried Boot repair?

https://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-boot-repair
    Yes, but the problem is not booting the computer will boot as long as I choose the hard disk for it to boot from, but it will not boot from a dvd, which is what I need to do to reinstall the system. Also, the report given me by boot repair is way above my level of understanding of OS and computers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Also, the report given me by boot repair is way above my level of understanding of OS and computers.
    Boot-repair provides a url during its run, which allows the report to be previewed by others here in this forum. Try again and post the url here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Also you can just try the recommended option on boot repair, usually fixes things

Beans

"I ran bleachbit the other day" - Bingo.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    "I ran bleachbit the other day" - Bingo.
    +1 I noticed that also.
    Bleachbit is a great tool with expericnce and without expericnce it can be your worst enemy.
    I use it regulary but with a learned wisdom.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast