Thread: software packages difference: ubuntu and mint

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question software packages difference: ubuntu and mint

Hi there! I am new to Linux generally, have been using Linux Mint for over a year, after switching from Windows. Now I am playing around with Ubuntu 18 (as a VM), considering installing that on my next machine.
    This is a very basic question regarding the subject of software sources, which I probably don't really understand.
    Noticed that when I searched for software, I can't find some packages on Ubuntu. I tried changing Ubuntu source to same as my Mint (http.//archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu) which shows under "mirrors" "base (xenial)" in Mint "software sources".
    I wanted to install "ubuntu-restricted-extras" in Ubuntu as I did in Mint. When I search for "ubuntu-restr.." in Mint software manager, it shows the package, but in Ubuntu software manager it does not. I installed in via command line in Ubuntu (sudo apt-get ubuntu-restricted-extras), seemed to work.
    But why does it not show up in software manager? Generally, I noticed that Ubuntu manager seems to give you less options than Mint?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by lisati; October 17th, 2018 at 10:58 AM.

Beans

Re: software packages difference: ubuntu and mint

Install synaptic and use it to manage your package, you will find all packages. the Software Center only lists a small fractions of packages available in the normal repositories.
    Code:
    sudo apt install synaptic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you should probably just type restricted or something like that and it would show up (if you have proper sources marked).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Install synaptic and use it to manage your package, you will find all packages. the Software Center only lists a small fractions of packages available in the normal repositories.
    Code:
    sudo apt install synaptic
    Or use the command line to install packages.
    Code:
    sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    I can not, however, comment on the sense (or not) of adding specific Mint repos to a Ubuntu system; I know in the past certain things have worked without a problem but I suspect there could be some that might either interfere with Ubuntu's system, or may simply not work.

It may be worth searching and asking at the Mint Forum where they may know more than we do here.

Beans

Some of the default Mint applications aren't in Ubuntu repositories, like the Xaps: xed, pix, xreader, xplayer, xviewer. If you like them, you can install them in Ubuntu from a PPA and they work fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

There can be differences in package versions and names across distros; this is normal. If you look at the package descriptions, they should match closely though. I wouldn't be mixing repositories from another distro into whichever one you're running, you may break APT.
    Last edited by oldos2er; October 17th, 2018 at 04:16 PM.