Thread: HD Audio for Lubuntu Compared to Windows 10

Beans

HD Audio for Lubuntu Compared to Windows 10

I have recently moved from Windows 7 64bit to Lubuntu 18.4 64bit.

The Audio is not up to mark, and it sounds more like AC97. My mother supports ALC883 and the specifications are,

Motherboard: Intel G945DCCR
    Audio: Realtek ALC883 HD Audio
    RAM: 2GB
    Processor: E2180 2.0 GHz

It does have in-built and it recognizes the Audio chipset. But, the Audio is no where near to the Windows 7 HD Audio manager.

How to get HD Audio from Lubuntu Bionic Beaver?

-------------------------_UPDATE------------------------

My Problem: Realtek Windows Audio codec produce HD sound with high volume. I get 30% of the volume in Lubuntu compared to the Realtek Windows Audio codec and the sound quality is no where near Realtek HD Audio codec.

2nd Problem: I like the equalizer, but I don't mind having it on Lubuntu as an add-on.

I want Realtek HD Audio Windows codec like performance on Lubuntu.

I am also using PulseAudio volume control, but the sound output is not good at all.

Audio Information: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=4d...70684012baeac8
    Last edited by kksilvery; October 16th, 2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: HD Audio for Lubuntu Compared to Windows 10

Not sure what exactly you are looking /asking for. Is it a graphic equalizer that you are seeking? If so, there are several listed in the Software Center.

Beans

You should be ok with your ALC883. Have you tried playing around with the settings or even tried alternative software in the packages especially the non-free and 3rd party There just might be what you need there. I have my AC97 disabled in bios as I shelled out for an Audigy 5/rx card to give me that Audiofile quality I needed. Ubuntu fully configure the card on installation and was up and running, however I had to set my speakers to Digital S/dpif instead of Analouge Sterio. Why it has my line out as Digital baffles me however the sound quality is spot on so I'm happy. Have a snoop around in the forums of Mint too as they are Ubuntu based also. Have found plenty of useful info there myself. I personally dual boot with Win10pro. Win10 on 1st SSD and Ubuntu on 2nd SSD. That way I can easily switch between both just by rebooting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Not sure what exactly you are looking /asking for. Is it a graphic equalizer that you are seeking?
    +1
    Audio quality should be the same unless you were using some kind of special DSP/enhancement in Windows. IIRC, the Windows Realtek driver control panel doesn't do anything like this except the surround effects it lets you play with.

Maybe look at alsa info just to make sure mixer settings are okay: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo

Beans

The sound volume is very low. For example, if the Realtek Windows driver can produce output of 100%, then I am getting 30% of the volume in Lubuntu 18.04. You can check the question, I have updated it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by franny01 View Post
    You should be ok with your ALC883. Have you tried playing around with the settings or even tried alternative software in the packages especially the non-free and 3rd party There just might be what you need there. I have my AC97 disabled in bios as I shelled out for an Audigy 5/rx card to give me that Audiofile quality I needed. Ubuntu fully configure the card on installation and was up and running, however I had to set my speakers to Digital S/dpif instead of Analouge Sterio. Why it has my line out as Digital baffles me however the sound quality is spot on so I'm happy. Have a snoop around in the forums of Mint too as they are Ubuntu based also. Have found plenty of useful info there myself. I personally dual boot with Win10pro. Win10 on 1st SSD and Ubuntu on 2nd SSD. That way I can easily switch between both just by rebooting.
    Thank you for the insights and suggestions. I am using default audio that came with the Lubuntu. I have updated the question, so make sure to read it.
    Last edited by kksilvery; October 16th, 2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    +1
    Audio quality should be the same unless you were using some kind of special DSP/enhancement in Windows. IIRC, the Windows Realtek driver control panel doesn't do anything like this except the surround effects it lets you play with.

Maybe look at alsa info just to make sure mixer settings are okay: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo

I think this report will help you understand my problem, and I have updated the question as well, so make sure to read it. http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=4d...70684012baeac8