Thread: Record "quad" format with ffmpeg?

Beans

Record "quad" format with ffmpeg?

Hi all, I have a four channel USB input device. I know it's working, because audacity records the four independent inputs perfectly well. But I would prefer to do my recording using ffmpeg. I've found in the ffmpeg docs that channel format may be specified using "quad" (and indeed, ffprobe tells me that the four-channel output file I get when I export from audacity is in "quad" format. But for the life of me, I can't work out how to actually use this specification on an ffmpeg command line. Try as I might, I either get an error because the command line is malformed, or I get a stereo file.

Can anyone tell me how to formulate an ffmpeg command such that it records all four channels, in "normal" quad channel layout, rather than simply producing stereo?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Record "quad" format with ffmpeg?

I cannot help you with that: sorry. But let me give you what I do have: I record 18 channels via USB connection from a Allen & Heath mixer. I have tried just about every program out there and Audacity is the only one that I have had any luck with.

Beans

Interesting. Have you tried ffmpeg? Did you get two channels from it if you did? The docs for ffmpeg explain how to take five mono files and join them into a single 5.1 format surround-sound result, and how to split such a file out too, but nothing about simply reading a multi-channel input device and storing it. Hard to believe it's not capable, but I guess I have audacity as a fallback at least. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I briefly looked at ffmpeg, but that was about all. There are a few times that I cannot run the recording (it is a church service) and someone else has to record it. Remotely, I can then do the editing. But, I really needed something simple that didn't take a lot of teaching to someone. And, I hated trying to get jack to work: just wasn't worth all the hassle.