Thread: Cannot access network share Ubuntu-->Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cannot access network share Ubuntu-->Ubuntu

I created a network share as per these instructions, and reading a lot of other posts across the web on the subject once it failed - seems like there are plenty about Ubuntu<-->Win but not much about Ubuntu<--->Ubuntu. I have this setup in fstab at work between several systems but cannot get to work here at home for whatever reason.
    When I try to access via Nautilus-->Connect to Server it brings up a login prompt. I input my username and password but it just pops back up.
    In the end what I am trying to do is have a MotioneyeOS system write files to this share,but I cannot even get two of the same versions of Ubuntu to share.
    My smb.conf is the sample plus the lines from the link.
    Any thoughts?
    Laptop - Acer 5560-7414,AMD A6-3420M 2.4 GHTz, 8GB DDR, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, AMD Radeon HD 6520, 16.04 64bit
    Work - Asus M4A785TD-V EVO, AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955, 16GB DDR3 ,PNY CS1311 120GB SSD, WDC WD5000AAKX 16.04 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Cannot access network share Ubuntu-->Ubuntu

For file sharing when both machines are running Linux, you should use NFS, not Windows CIFS.

Any machines sharing files will need to install nfs-kernel-server. Any client machines without a server need nfs-common.

See the instructions here for more details: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: Cannot access network share Ubuntu-->Ubuntu

I have some questions:

[1] Are you saying that this share is accessible at work from Windows and Linux machines in that network but not at home?

[2] Which version of Ubuntu are you using on the server and client? Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04, ...?

[3] So if you go to the server and run this command:
    Code:
    testparm -s
    Is this how samba sees your share definition:
    [Share]
    path = /home/geek/Desktop/Share
    valid users = geek
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    And did you add the valid user to the samba password database:
    Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -a geek
    If you get warning or errors or if you share definition does not look like what I posted above post the entire output of:
    Code:
    testparm -s