Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My printer is not working after upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: My printer is not working after upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04.1

Well, maybe cups error log might help. Try and print something.

open a terminal (pressing ctrl+alt+t will open one)

Type in this command, tail is just a command that will display the last 10 lines of a file, in our case it's displaying the last 20 with the -n 20 switch. /var/log/cups/error_log is where cups logs error messages to.

Code:
    tail -n 20 /var/log/cups/error_log
    Copy all of the output out of the terminal (highlight it all, right click and copy. Or on the keyboard ctrl+shift+c)

Paste it into a reply here, make sure to wrap it in code tags (press the little button in the edit window that looks like a # symbol) This will increase readability for us.

As a side thought, where there multiple drivers listed for your printer model when you went to settings->devices->printers->additional settings-> change "make and model".

For my printer there are multiple drivers available, I have to select the one that says "for cups". If you have more than one listed as I do, give them all a try.
    Screenshot from 2018-10-13 04-07-53.png
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have made lots of dist-upgrade in the past, and often got some unexpected issues until i checked for old settings left behind and orphan packages.
    Remeber that a fresh install is often quicker and troubleless than doing rolling upgrades.

But run 'gtkorphan' and 'bleachbit' (as root, carefully select features) to clean the system.
    Then reboot and go glancing at 'journalctl -b' to know about possible problem (highlited blank is a warning, red lines is an error)
    When you are ready you can then test your printer job, after rebooting.

Beans

I have the exact same prob as Gins, it came right after upgrading to 18.04.1, my printer is Epson but a different model, I do not know how to resolve but I suspect I might know why it happens... maybe the clever ones can make sense of it: because of upgrading through the new rollout upgrade rather than doing a fresh install, at some point during the upgrade we are informed that third party update will be disabled and can be re-enabled after the upgrade. So Bionic offers new options in Software & Updates >other software, you can tick the 'disabled on upgrade to Bionic' and one of them is download.ebz.epson. Once I update I get:

Get:11 http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/op/stable/debian lsb3.2 Release.gpg [198 B]

Ign:11 http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/op/stable/debian lsb3.2 Release.gpg
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: GPG error: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/op/stable/debian lsb3.2 Release: The following signatures were invalid: E5220FB7014D0FBDA50DFC2BE5E86C008AA65D56
    E: The repository 'http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/op/stable/debian lsb3.2 Release' is not signed.

N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

I am no tecky but I venture a guess that the repository does not permit the update of the Epson driver for lack of secure certificate. Can anything be done about that? Many thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Papaduke; October 14th, 2018 at 09:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have Y PPA Manager installed as a tool and under Advanced options
    there is an option "Try to fix all GPG BADSIG errors!.
    Might be worth trying.
    Certainly a useful tool for PPA management.

Beans

I found a solution on this Ask Ubuntu thread and it works for me.
    Delete your printer, then
    Code:
    sudo rmdir /usr/share/ghostscript/9.25/iccprofiles
      sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgs9-common
    then install printer, that's it
    Last edited by Papaduke; October 19th, 2018 at 02:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12