Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 18.04 with infrared how-to ir-keytable-ditching lirc completely

Beans

Re: 18.04 with infrared how-to ir-keytable-ditching lirc completely

Quote Originally Posted by chunter2 View Post
    I too am trying to figure out how to use a blaster with ir-keytable. With lirc I had a blaster section in the lircd.conf file that was used with a channel change script that mythtv would run when it would start a recording on my satellite box. The channel number would be passed to the script which would use irsend to "blast" each number. How would this work with ir-keytable only?

Thanks
    This is part of the problem with using ir-keytable and ditching lirc completely. At least with any instructions I have seen so far, ir-keytable only offers a subset of the functionality of the original LIRC. Three things it does not appear to offer, or that no one has explained how to do:

1. Ease of setup by picking your remote (and IR sender, if you are using one) from a list, without having to mess with or modify config files (sadly this has been lost in the most recent version of LIRC).
    2. Ability to use for purposes outside a specific program by using a .lircrc (or equivalent) file. For example if you are running a desktop version of Ubuntu, how do you launch your media program (Kodi or MythTV) using only the remote? With LIRC you are not limited to controlling only certain programs; with a little bit of bash scripting skill you can control damn near anything from the remote (I have actually used it to toggle power to a lamp, by sending a command to a Raspberry Pi power control device elsewhere on the local network). If there is a way to do this in ir-keytable, nobody has bothered to explain it as far as I have seen.
    3. The blasting ability you mention, using the irsend command - see http://www.piddlerintheroot.com/ir-blaster-lirc/ and/or https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url (English translation by Google) for examples of how this can be used.

Also there is the problem that certain keys on the remote just don't seem to work as they should for some people when using ir-keytable.

For now, as explained in other threads, it is still possible to revert to an older version of LIRC (for example see https://twosortoftechguys.wordpress....-ubuntu-18-04/) and that solves all of these issues. But at some point that solution may no longer be workable, unless some programmer decides to fork and rename and maintain the former (0.9.x) version of LIRC, which is something I'd truly love to see, because for many users (including myself) the former version of LIRC has been the only thing that consistently works and works well, provided you don't upgrade to that gahdawful 1.x version that's offered in the more recent Ubuntu repos. Really wish they would add lirc-classic to the Ubuntu repo (that being the version of LIRC that's in the Ubuntu 16.04 repo).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by macarro2 View Post
    Good afternoon. I've been struggling for two days with ir-keytable with no luck but I'm afraid that my problem is a bit weird.

1. I had a working IR in Linux Mint 17, so my mapping script should be fine.
    2. I upgrade to Mint 19 and to my surprise the script didn't work. The mapping was fine, I could see the proper key events when pressing the IR buttons ("using ir-keytable -t" or "xev") but none of those keys could be recognised by any softare (text editor, kodi, console...). Nothing happened as if I wasn't pressing any key. To make things more weird, some mappings worked fine (volume_up, volume_down, arrow keys) but none of the keys that produce a printable character seems to do anything.
    3. I thought it could be a problem related with Mint/XFCE so I tried different desktops, same result. Then I move to Ubuntu/Lubuntu (and again different desktops), same result... (at the moment I'm at Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS)

So here I am, pulling my hair out trying to understand what is going on. I have no lirc (clean install of the OS, and it doesn't come installed). Any idea or suggestion?

EDIT: If I search "find / -name "*lirc*" in my computer this is what I have.

/sys/class/lirc
    /sys/class/lirc/lirc0
    /sys/devices/pnp0/00:05/rc/rc0/lirc0
    /usr/share/man/man4/lirc.4.gz
    /usr/share/app-install/desktop/gnome-lirc-properties:gnome-lirc-properties.desktop
    /usr/share/app-install/icons/gnome-lirc-properties.svg
    /usr/share/doc/liblirc-client0
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblirc_client.so.0
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblirc_client.so.0.6.0
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vlc/plugins/control/liblirc_plugin.so
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.18.0-16/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/test_lirc_mode2.sh
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.18.0-16/include/uapi/linux/lirc.h
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.18.0-16/include/linux/bpf_lirc.h
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.18.0-16-generic/include/config/lirc.h
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.18.0-15/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/test_lirc_mode2.sh
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.18.0-15/include/uapi/linux/lirc.h
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.18.0-15/include/linux/bpf_lirc.h
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.18.0-15-generic/include/config/lirc.h
    /dev/lirc0
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/liblirc-client0:amd64.triggers
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/liblirc-client0:amd64.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/liblirc-client0:amd64.md5sums
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/liblirc-client0:amd64.shlibs

Maccaro-

Sorry for the delayed response, I haven't been keeping an eye on this thread and the auto-notification on this forum doesn't seem to work any more.

You will need to completely delete any and all references to lirc, otherwise the evdev system will not work.
    Then work through the steps I set down in the original post methodically and it does work.

I have just re-vamped my HTPC and followed these instructions and it works perfectly. Here is my system:

root@linuxmint:/home/tony# inxi -F
    System: Host: linuxmint Kernel: 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.15.4
    Distro: Ubuntu 19.04 (Disco Dingo)
    Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: STRIX Z270E GAMING v: Rev 1.xx serial: 170706774500147 UEFI: American Megatrends
    v: 1302 date: 03/15/2018
    CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-7700K bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 8192 KiB
    Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800
    Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] driver: nvidia v: 418.56
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.56
    Audio: Device-1: NVIDIA GM206 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
    Device-2: TBS DVB-S2 4 Tuner PCIe Card driver: TBSECP3 driver
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.0.0-20-generic
    Network: Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-V driver: e1000e
    IF: enp0s31f6 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 10:7**
    IF-ID-1: vmnet1 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: 00**
    IF-ID-2: vmnet8 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: 00**
    Drives: Local Storage: total: 8.42 TiB used: 6.86 TiB (81.4%)
    ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 840 PRO Series size: 238.47 GiB
    ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST4000LM024-2AN17V size: 3.64 TiB
    ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Toshiba model: MD04ACA500 size: 4.55 TiB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 58.59 GiB used: 13.08 GiB (22.3%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda5
    ID-2: /home size: 74.46 GiB used: 6.81 GiB (9.1%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda6
    Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 31 C
    Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 gpu: nvidia fan: 40%
    Info: Processes: 319 Uptime: 1d 2h 26m Memory: 15.60 GiB used: 2.50 GiB (16.0%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.33

Cheers, Tony.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bullwinkle2 View Post
    This is part of the problem with using ir-keytable and ditching lirc completely. At least with any instructions I have seen so far, ir-keytable only offers a subset of the functionality of the original LIRC. Three things it does not appear to offer, or that no one has explained how to do:

1. Ease of setup by picking your remote (and IR sender, if you are using one) from a list, without having to mess with or modify config files (sadly this has been lost in the most recent version of LIRC).
    2. Ability to use for purposes outside a specific program by using a .lircrc (or equivalent) file. For example if you are running a desktop version of Ubuntu, how do you launch your media program (Kodi or MythTV) using only the remote? With LIRC you are not limited to controlling only certain programs; with a little bit of bash scripting skill you can control damn near anything from the remote (I have actually used it to toggle power to a lamp, by sending a command to a Raspberry Pi power control device elsewhere on the local network). If there is a way to do this in ir-keytable, nobody has bothered to explain it as far as I have seen.
    3. The blasting ability you mention, using the irsend command - see http://www.piddlerintheroot.com/ir-blaster-lirc/ and/or https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url (English translation by Google) for examples of how this can be used.

Also there is the problem that certain keys on the remote just don't seem to work as they should for some people when using ir-keytable.

For now, as explained in other threads, it is still possible to revert to an older version of LIRC (for example see https://twosortoftechguys.wordpress....-ubuntu-18-04/) and that solves all of these issues. But at some point that solution may no longer be workable, unless some programmer decides to fork and rename and maintain the former (0.9.x) version of LIRC, which is something I'd truly love to see, because for many users (including myself) the former version of LIRC has been the only thing that consistently works and works well, provided you don't upgrade to that gahdawful 1.x version that's offered in the more recent Ubuntu repos. Really wish they would add lirc-classic to the Ubuntu repo (that being the version of LIRC that's in the Ubuntu 16.04 repo).
    Bullwinkle- Thank you for this contribution.

I'll try to address these 3 issues with my limited knowledge and experience.

1) As lirc fades more into the distance now being unmaintained it's easy graphics are no longer there for newer systems. Yes, it is regrettable. Maybe someone with better programming skills than mine can come up with an evdev equivalent programme.

2) I thought this too, until an eureka moment happened. see my post here:- https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2403500 My post #2. It is so easy, any remote, any button, any function.

3) I still am at a loss to understand why the blasting function is so problematic. All the blasters I have used just resend an infra-red purely as a relay, whether infra-red receivers or bluetooth/zigbee connections, they are just a relay device, why do you need some sort of separate control for them?

With regard to your final comment, I used to be an advocate of how wonderful LIRC was, but I have seen the light, and realise how much more elegant the evdev solution is, it is so much easier to configure. Let's be honest, the dog's breakfast that was LIRC was a dreadful thing to configure and get going properly.

Best regards, Tony.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chunter2 View Post
    I too am trying to figure out how to use a blaster with ir-keytable. With lirc I had a blaster section in the lircd.conf file that was used with a channel change script that mythtv would run when it would start a recording on my satellite box. The channel number would be passed to the script which would use irsend to "blast" each number. How would this work with ir-keytable only?

Thanks
    Chunter-

There is no sort of scripting in evedev as in lirc. Therefore you need to map say a jumppoint in mythtv to a button for the same sort of functionality. Scripts can be written within mythtv as in a "job". This should offer the flexibility you require.

Cheers, Tony.

Beans

Hi

I followed the instructions here but my remote still does not work well (using Mint 19). I don't have the lirc daemon running, and the key mapping is well defined (tested all keys with ir-keytable). However it is still not working properly. For example in Kodi, left or right click are executed multiple times, the ok button does not work at all, etc.

Any idea what am I missing? Thanks !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by duduamar View Post
    Hi

I followed the instructions here but my remote still does not work well (using Mint 19). I don't have the lirc daemon running, and the key mapping is well defined (tested all keys with ir-keytable). However it is still not working properly. For example in Kodi, left or right click are executed multiple times, the ok button does not work at all, etc.

Any idea what am I missing? Thanks !
    Hi dud-

Purge and purge again lirc. Lirc is lurking in the dark corners of your machine somewhere...........

You can adjust the repeat rate and button sensitivity with the first couple of lines of the config file for your remote.

I don't use Kodi-never been able to get it to work as I want, so I just use the default Mythtv frontend.

I do know Kodi has it's own way of handling the remote that uses LIRC.....at least in the older versions....maybe they've updated it to work with systemd.

If not you may need to look in the Kodi remote configuration for your problems.

Cheers Tony

Beans

Question Re: 18.04 with infrared how-to ir-keytable-ditching lirc completely

Hello there,

Sorry I don't understand either.
    Let's say I want to remap VolumeUP when I press 0. I've changed `/etc/rc_keymap/rc6_mc` this way:

Code:
    # table rc6_mce, type: RC6
    0x800f0400 KEY_VOLUMEUP  # Was KEY_0
    0x800f0401 KEY_1
    0x800f0402 KEY_2
    It doesn't work. Did I miss something?

Beans

Ok I found why it did not work. I had to restart MythTV frontend after all the changes.
    This page helped me to understand better.
    https://blogging.dragon.org.uk/using...e-with-mythtv/

Beans

I found this tutorial to make it work

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c2/ap...rc_ubuntu18.04

Basically just some configuration files changed from 16.04 to 18.04...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zetoune2 View Post
    Ok I found why it did not work. I had to restart MythTV frontend after all the changes.
    This page helped me to understand better.
    https://blogging.dragon.org.uk/using...e-with-mythtv/
    This is a good tutorial blog, wish it had been there when I was struggling. Nice one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast