Thread: How?? Grub bios install for existing Ubuntu mbr and Windows mbr on seperate disks

Beans

Question How?? Grub bios install for existing Ubuntu mbr and Windows mbr on seperate disks

Hi, can you help?

I have win server 2016 on one hard drive and it uses legacy bios mbr. For some reason I couldn't get windows to install with UEFI a couple years back and never thought about it again---til now.

I added a brand new SSD for ubuntu. When I tried to install Ubuntu using the install gui, it did not detect any other OS. So, I stopped, verified that safeboot and such were disabled in the bios, but still no other OS was detected during ubuntu install. I then pulled out my windows hard drive and set it on the desk (was getting nervous about messing it up (and yes I have a seperate bootable clone of my windows boot drive)). I installed ubuntu using the "something else" option. I made a 300 MB partition and labeled it for grub bios. I made the rest of the disk a primary partition for ubuntu. Installed it, and all is well. However, when I put back in my windows boot drive, to no suprise grub does not find it when I boot with shift held down. But I can use the bios to select the windows disk and it will boot. However, that requires me physically at the computer--and I work on this computer remotely 90% fo the time, and I need to switch sides roughly daily.

I would like grub to recognize my windows boot drive. Then I would have the option to tell grub to reboot into windows from the command line. This way I could do this all remotely--which is how I usually use this workstation.

Since ubuntu didn't find my windows OS during the original install, how can I hope that reinstalling grub would find it the second time around? Is it worth trying, is there a trick? As you can probably tell, I'm not great with linux/grub/etc, so please don't assume I've done the most obvious thing--I haven't. Thanks for your time, experience and advice.

GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How?? Grub bios install for existing Ubuntu mbr and Windows mbr on seperate disks

Welcome to the Fora.
    Here is one guide to help with your issue. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

If that does not help it might be better to see details using Boot Repair.
    Boot your Ubuntu go to here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair and select the 2nd option.
    DO NOT attempt any repairs just select the 'Create a Boot Info Report' option. Post the generated link back here.

Beans

Re: How?? Grub bios install for existing Ubuntu mbr and Windows mbr on seperate disks

Sounds like Ubuntu is installed in UEFI mode. How the installer boots determines what type of install you get. For a gpt partitioned disk, you only need a 2M bios-grub flagged partition, not a 300M one (which is a normal EFI partition size). Check your BIOS/UEFI settings at power on and see what options you have for booting. Some machines let you set the mode, legacy/UEFI, but some only let you set a preference of which to boot first -- Set legacy first in that case. You could just try running upgate-grub, to see if Windows is picked up first before trying anything else.