Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you pass time on the Internet ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do you pass time on the Internet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    When I was a little public radio ran the original "War of the Worlds " on Halloween so I started looking for other programs years later when I got a computer. WPR used to play reruns of a program called MINDWEBS too.
    I used to have a copy of the 1970s album War of the Worlds by Jeff Wayne. These days I have a copy on DVD of an updated version, and also a copy of the movie by that name.

When Mrs Lisati lets me, I spend at least part of the day checking email, browsing the Ubuntu Forums, and annoying people on Facebook
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

I look for latest news and ofcourse use my social media accounts to pass time. i also do some casual online gaming on my mobile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I clicked on this thread because I had nothing to do. XD Sitting in the car outside the laundry mat listening to music and trying to learn more linux things on the internet with my little thinkpad netbook.

Beans
    Distro

I use 2 Ubuntu forums, 4 Christian forums, Facebook, shopping, and a variety of information that I search for. I also like to play games, but I haven't gotten into the live on-line games yet with human players. I only use G-rated sites and it's free.

Beans

I search and read on the Internet all materials related to religion, which I profess (Pastafarianism), as well as I read materials about flat land, chemical trails (chemical routes that leave some airplanes), about the ancient destroyed civilizations and the buried remains of their cities, on which, as on foundations, some modern buildings were erected, about silicon life, about destroyed silicon many-kilometer trees and so on. Sometimes I play computer games. For example, in Lineage II.

Beans

I use web for browsing new coding techniques; new software products, especially the ones that solve mail related issues.

Beans
    Distro

Christmas shopping

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

when not reading forums or coding i browse videos on YouTube.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I used to spend my free time trolling various Linux forums. I wanted to help, share what I've learned over the past 4-5 years. However recently I've had some bad experiences on a few other forums. From the usual elitist BS to flat out insults and trash talking because of a difference of opinion.
    My own theory about this is that we are culturally creating a perfect society for narcissists. Part of it is bad habits, part of it is bad parenting, but there's a lot more to it than that. Another factor is the constant increase in global population, leading people to be starved for attention while being surrounded by people. We reward neglect.

Narcissists thrive under these conditions. And "grief is contagious" like you said. On a positive note, I also feel that dealing with society would improve quickly if more people knew more about narcissism. Misunderstanding it (or understanding it superficially) makes people unprepared (and shocked, and bothered) by encountering it on a weekly basis or more.

The nice part is I'm discovering life outside of my computer again, and loving it.
    Going outside helps. Maybe it's because people are anonymous online. Or maybe it's because outside, you're more likely to use your feet while indoors, in your home, you are just as likely sitting.

But as for me, my online and offline and other computer activities are all connected to some degree. I code, I try to help people with technical issues, and I try to offer other ideas that will help.

One thing that would help a lot is if people spent more time outside their philosophical comfort zones. It's not just encountering different ideas that helps, it's discovering that the ideas that make your own life ideal come not from a narrow subculture, but from everywhere. Once you discover that (easier with time, but possible in youth) it helps you appreciate different perspectives more. Not as rules, but as a wider array of options. It takes practice to think of it that way, and the most reasonable people arent like that 24/7. They all have their moments.

Beans

I just sit around watching YouTube most of the time on the internet.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast