Thread: Did I get hacked?

Beans

Question Did I get hacked?

Hello, I have been using Ubuntu 16.04 for more than one year. I have read all security topics here and followed all advice. However, I am still wondering if my laptop was hacked. Please advise. First, there was a time i installed Brave browser. After 1 month using Brave, I realized that my wifi router got so hot and my laptop became so slow. I removed Brave broswer and returned to Firefox. After removing Brave browser, my wifi router works normally, and not hot at all as normal. My laptop also run faster as normal again. I installed all security add-ons for Firefox, also priproxy, duckduckgo, so on. My harddisk was also encrypted, ubuntu firewall on, clamAV installed, and ProtonVPN. However, here is my problem. Firstly, I still see that my laptop startup is very slow. It takes more than one minute to startup everytime I turn it on. Secondly, I installed Unikey IBus. When I use Unikey on Facebook, the mouse pointer always jumps to the starting point of a post while typing. I checked carefully that it is not a problem of touch panel. Is that possible that my laptop was hacked? I installed AppArmor but I do not know how to use it yet. My second question is that, should i need to install Snort and HIDS for my laptop? Many thanks for your advice. Best, Phuong
    Last edited by phuongubuubun; September 29th, 2018 at 06:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Did I get hacked?

Check the system logs for anything funny.
    When something you think is "bad" happens, which programs are running and cause it?
    Too many addons will make a browser slow.

Beans

Re: Did I get hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Check the system logs for anything funny.
    When something you think is "bad" happens, which programs are running and cause it?
    Too many addons will make a browser slow.
    Thank you very much for your advice.
    I checked using top but i could not find anything bad.
    I also checked using system log. I could not find anything bad, too.

Thank you very much.