Thread: negative geometry position selects wrong side for some users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

negative geometry position selects wrong side for some users

i am running Unity on Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS with multiple users.

when i have a script launch a program with a negative horizontal position in the geometry option, it works fine in one user and places the script at a horizontal position relative to the right side of the display as intended.. this happens to be the user i needed it first in, so i initially wrote the script under that user. later i had another 3 users copy that script over to their home directories (so that copy would be owned by them. but when i ran it, it placed the window relative to the left side, plus a few more pixels to the right.

the intended position was -1 so it would be just one pixel away from the right end. but it ended up about 16 pixels from the left end. the program is "gnome-terminal". when i intend to position it relative to the left side, it always works on all users. i usually have 12 logged in users at a time, switching them as needed.

does anyone have any idea why it would work right for one user and work wrong for another?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Re: negative geometry position selects wrong side for some users

If it's in Unity it's may have to do with the number of virtual desktops for different users.
    Do some tests using
    Code:
    wmctrl -d
    xwininfo
    Last edited by again?; September 24th, 2018 at 08:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: negative geometry position selects wrong side for some users

all 12 users have 9 virtual desktops in a 3x3 arrangement.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer