Thread: Support for ultra wide monitors?

Beans

Support for ultra wide monitors?

I'm running Bionic beaver on a Lenovo T460 with an "Intel Corporation HD Graphics 520 (rev 07)" video card, and using a docking station to connect to 2 old LCD monitors. Current setup works great, in fact the dual monitor display worked perfectly right out of the box with my docking station when I installed Bionic beaver(previous version took a bit of fiddling to get working). My laptop can support much higher resolutions than my current monitors so I am looking to replace them, and after looking at monitors I'd prefer to ditch the dual monitor setup and move to 1 large 34"-36" ultra wide monitor. I've noticed that a lot of these ultra wide monitors offer split screen mode, which I would like so when I maximize a window it doesn't spread all the way across the screen, and it would behave similarly to my current dual monitor setup. However, I'm assuming I would need special drivers installed to make that work, so I'm curious if anyone else is using an ultrawide and what their experience is?

Can anyone recommend an ultra wide screen monitor that will work out of the box with Bionic Beaver?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Support for ultra wide monitors?

Don't know if this will help or not, but I have a 29" wide monitor, AOC q2963Pm, that is a few years old. Its native resolution is listed as 2560 x 1080 at 60 Hz. I have been using it for a couple of years now. If ever I buy another monitor it will be one as wide or wider than the AOC q2963Pm . I can not address the split screen feature as I don't even know if mine has that capability. I can truthfully say that I really like the extra width of this monitor. It allows me to place two legible, full size windows side by side on the display.
    It seems that many folks have problems with multiple displays (even in Windows 10). With an extra-width monitor, one can avoid the dual-monitor issues. A decent 32" monitor can be purchased for less than $200 for the frugal minded, or you can splurge and buy one in excess of $2k.

Good luck, I hope you get great satisfaction from your decision.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Re: Support for ultra wide monitors?

Can I ask how you handle maximizing windows?

One of the reason the split screen feature is so appealing to me is I don't want to maximize a window and have it span the entire monitor. The beauty of my dual monitor setup I currently have is that when I maximize the the window is only expands to fill one monitor, which is great for a smaller monitor, not so great when I'm getting north of 30".