Thread: Passing arguments to Shell script from text file

Beans

Lightbulb Passing arguments to Shell script from text file

Hello All,

I hope you are all well and I'm really sorry to post this, I know that similar things have been posted before but I am really struggling to get my head around it.

Essentially, I want to feed in selective arguments from a configuration file to my shell script. As an example my config file is as follows:

Code:

#Randomcheck here
    randvariable=0

#Cut off
    Cutoff=10
    How would I write a script in bash to only take the value of Cutoff and ignore Randvariable? Please please please write it as if you are speaking to a 5 year old

Best wishes and thanks,

Lewis

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Passing arguments to Shell script from text file

Code:
    $ grep "Cutoff" /tmp/t | sed 's/^.*=//g'
    But really if you can be certain all the non-comment lines are valid bash, you can use
    Code:
    source /tmp/t
    to get the values loaded and use them within the script. If you don't want a value, ignore it or "unset" it. I'd use the source method myself. It is a commonly used method to share settings for a group of scripts that need different values for different systems.
    Last edited by TheFu; September 22nd, 2018 at 12:53 AM. Reason: added source method.

Beans

If you just want the value, 10, I'd modify TheFu's script so that the result of the command is stored in an environment variable:

Code:
    CUTOFF=$(grep "Cutoff" /tmp/t | sed 's/^.*=//g')
    Encasing a command in $() returns the value of the command which is then stored in the environment variable CUTOFF. You can then use $CUTOFF in the calling script where you want the value "10" to be used.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you both for your responses I am very very grateful for your help.

thanks,

Lewis