Thread: Mount by label or UUID of EBS volumes (NVME) not working with EC2 C5 instances

Beans

Mount by label or UUID of EBS volumes (NVME) not working with EC2 C5 instances

I am unable to mount EBS volumes in C5 instances via UUID or label. For instance this doesn't work with Ubuntu 18.04:

e2label /dev/nvme1n1 DATA
    mkdir /data
    mount -L DATA /data

There is no error message, but the volume won't be mounted

However, I can mount this way:
    mount /dev/nvme1n1 /data

I have the same problem when I try to mount via UUID.

This all works fine in C4 instances.

I need to mount this way because NVME volumes are randomly assigned to device names. This causes problems in fstab if you stop the instance and launch it again. I can mount mount via volume id. However, this then causes problems if you create a new AMI from the instance.

This seems to be an Ubuntu issue. I just tried it with Amazon Linux and mounting via labels works there. I also was able to mount a local SSD via label. However EBS volumes don't work.

This what I see in syslog:

Sep 21 11:50:43 ip-10-0-0-145 kernel: http:// 915.753600 EXT4-fs (nvme2n1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    Sep 21 11:50:43 ip-10-0-0-145 systemd[1]: Unmounted /data.
    Sep 21 11:51:47 ip-10-0-0-145 systemd[1]: data.mount: Unit is bound to inactive unit dev-xvdg.device. Stopping, too.

Maybe a Ubuntu bug?

Last edited by michael8888; September 21st, 2018 at 02:16 PM.