Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VERY Slow Boot

Beans

Re: VERY Slow Boot

Well, why do want to make Windows start slower?

Rather make Linux start faster and that is as simple as using suspend and hibernate. With suspend, the machine should be ready to run in less than a second.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have Desktop pc and given the choice, would prefer to actually completely power down my machine rather than leaving it on - even if at a low level.

Beans

OK, then use hibernate rather than suspend.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It looks like you have a setting for which video & it is on Intel, so do you change that when using nVidia?
    Screen 4 shows Intel vitalization & VT-D enabled. On my Asus I have those off.
    I know that some Intel SRT or caching settings can cause issues.

Other than having some old BIOS boot bootloaders in MBR which will not work but are not used as long as you do not try to boot in BIOS boot mode, I do not see anything in Boot-Repair's report that looks out of place.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

I'm intrigued re me using nVidia. I do not use nVidia graphics - I have no graphics card; I use the onboard intel graphics. Do I have a config somewhere saying I have nVidia? I have intel virtualization & VT-D enabled because I use Virtualbox - perhaps I do not need these enabled(?).

Beans
    Distro

SORTED - it was my usb card reader and extra USB ports on the front of my pc! Oldfred gave me the lead by suggesting I turn off Quiet Splash in grub - this enabled me to see where in the boot process there was a slowing down. I noticed USB1-7 usb device descriptor read/64, error -110 - that appeared a number of times. This gave me the clue to disconnect these devices from my motherboard - ubuntu now boots to Desktop in 8s. I have reconnected and the boot time is unaffected so it was related to bad connections to the motherboard. Thank you to all that have helped me with this issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12