Thread: Can't ISO file be edited?

Beans

Can't ISO file be edited?

I tried searching on this forums because im sure this has been asked before but i didn't get anything useful .
    I downloaded an iSO file on my computer ,but i can't extract them to computer for editing.
    Am I limited by something ?

Beans

Re: Can't ISO file be edited?

An ISO file of what? Is this a Linux bootable iso with an OS on it or something else? An ISO file is read-only by design so you can not edit it unless you first extract or loop mount it and then copy it to a hard drive or usb drive in a location you as a user, have permission to do so. How you would modify it would depend upon what exactly the iso is so more info on what the iso is and what you want to modify would be necessary before anyone could give you any more specific instructions.

Beans

For editing ISOs, try the program isomaster from the ubuntu repository.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    An ISO file of what? Is this a Linux bootable iso with an OS on it or something else? An ISO file is read-only by design so you can not edit it unless you first extract or loop mount it and then copy it to a hard drive or usb drive in a location you as a user, have permission to do so. How you would modify it would depend upon what exactly the iso is so more info on what the iso is and what you want to modify would be necessary before anyone could give you any more specific instructions.
    It is downloaded from Microsoft website for making a bootable disk , before doing that , i extracted them to computer (Windows 10 ), but I can't open it on my computer .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    For editing ISOs, try the program isomaster from the ubuntu repository.
    Well , i will try it next time , it seems to support only CD/DVD iSO image editors .
    Last edited by lamker; September 20th, 2018 at 07:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lamker View Post
    It is downloaded from Microsoft website for making a bootable disk , before doing that , i extracted them to computer (Windows 10 ), but I can't open it on my computer .
    Why the need to edit it? If it's from Microsoft, they might have TOS and EULAs that expect you to burn it directly to CD/DVD.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Windows sub-forum.

Before we go any further, please answer two questions:

1 - What is the ISO file you downloaded from the Microsoft site?

2 - What is the nature of the edits you plan on doing?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

All i know many people do this just to burn iSO file to other disk , or edit and rename the file .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Since the OP hasn't been back since their last post, and since this thread has absolutely nothing to do with Ubuntu, I think we can put it to rest.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.