Thread: Multiple attempted logins from same IP

Beans

Multiple attempted logins from same IP

So I have a few IP address that seem to be running a script trying to login via ssh, imap, etc. filling up my log files. It is mildly annoying so the most insistent ones I have /sbin/route add -host IP address -reject, but being slightly vindictive I was thinking it would be nice to route their attempted logins back to them. So that they can fill up their own logs.
    I know iptables has a forward command that I was thinking of using, but I'm not sure that would be the best way to go. Any thoughts on doing this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Multiple attempted logins from same IP

Hacking back is illegal in some countries.

I just drop the packets at the router. I block entire countries which have no business accessing my systems. If you can, use a whitelist for network access. Not everyone can if you don't know where your people might be trying to connect from. We simplified the IMAP stuff - it is only available via VPN, so there aren't any external attempts on that anymore.

For ssh, if you move the listener to a non-default port, almost 100% of the unwanted attempts will be gone. Also, install fail2ban and only allow key-based authentication over the internet for any ssh-based connection. That would be ssh, scp, sftp,rsync, and most network backup tools like duplicity, rdiff-backup and the 50 others. fail2ban is preconfigured for ssh on 22/tcp, so if you have the router do port-translation from WAN:62022 --> LAN:22 you can use the defaults. Tweak your client ~/.ssh/config file to have 2 configs - the public and the LAN so you need not to know which port the WAN is listening on for day-to-day use. Every ssh-based tool that I know honors that setting.

You can setup fail2ban for imap connections too, if you like.
    Last edited by TheFu; September 18th, 2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: s/need need/need not/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I believe TheFu and I were recently in a similar thread.

I want to echo his advice to use "drop". "Reject" is throwing down a gauntlet and can end up with the hacker saying "Challenge accepted".
    Last edited by QIII; September 18th, 2018 at 09:22 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Good advice both of you. Interestingly I already use a nonstandard port for ssh. These are the more persistent ones.
    I will definitely implement a VPN for imap.
    As far as the legality of hacking back I would think just mirroring back their attempts would not constitute hacking on my part since any attempts successful or not would be initiated by them. I am concerned about the overhead of such a scenario, would not want to accidentally set up a loop.