Thread: Synaptic Package Manager not working after upgrade to from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS

Beans

Question Synaptic Package Manager not working after upgrade to from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS

Like it says in the title, I upgraded Lubuntu from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS. Now, Synaptic Pkg. Mgr. doesn't work from the GUI.
    But oddly enough, it will work from the command terminal (with sudo, of course).

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Synaptic Package Manager not working after upgrade to from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS

Are you trying to launch Synaptic with gksu synaptic or synaptic-pkexec?
    And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: "rational thinking."
    But, when you're good and crazy? Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! The sky is the limit!

Beans

Re: Synaptic Package Manager not working after upgrade to from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS

According to the icon, it's synaptic-pkexec

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hmm... Are you running Gnome?

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2401518 This thread may be related.
    I could swear I've seen more than that of users posting issues with launchers not working.

Possibly a Gnome issue?

I mean... If you can launch Synaptic from term and it run, but not from the launcher, it looks related to me.
    And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: "rational thinking."

Beans

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I wasn't *entirely* certain if they were related, so I posted anyway to see whether or not it was specific to Synaptic, or if simply any program was affected (according to the alignment of the planets)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I found a Fedora user with similar problems here:
    https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...s-not-working/

The marked fix on the page is:
    Code:
    Got it solved by editing /etc/gdm/custom.conf and uncommenting the #WaylandEnable=false line.
    Looks like a fix to GDM. May be no good of you've got LightDM. Is there an option to disable Wayland on your login screen?

Beans

I don't think I have Wayland at all. I checked Synaptic (by running via CLI, of course) and saw that it wasn't installed. I do have LightDM, however.
    Plus, I don't have /etc/gdm/custom.conf