Thread: Block everything except for a few IP's

Beans

Block everything except for a few IP's

Hi, IF I have a computer which connects its 1st port to the ISP and the 2nd port to a router then I put the following commands:

$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -o eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j REJECT
    $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o ppp0 -j REJECT
    $IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

This should block all traffic to the internet right?

Now suppose I validate user with IP address of 123.123.123.45 and want to give him access to the internet, can I just type in an IPtables command that will open this connection just for him?

The other IP tables rules Ive been seeing for captive portals opens and closes port 80 but keeps the other ports open (or keeps them permanently closed). I want something that can close everything and then when verified can open everything for a specific device.

Do you guys have any ideas on how this can be done. I am hoping that it might be possible through an IPtables command.

Beans

Re: Block everything except for a few IP's

I am guessing that ppp0 is the ISP.

Rather than having a -j REJECT for FORWARD, it is probably better to set the default policy to reject, then allow connections that have already been allowed, then allow specific connections that you are happy with. DROP is probably better than REJECT, because REJECT can be used (by spoofing the source) to generate DDOS traffic to other hosts. Something like this (un-tested):
    Code:
    # Masquerade forwarded connections
    $IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
    # Drop all forward connections by default
    $IPTABLES -P FORWARD DROP
    # Allow connections that have already been allowed to continue to work
    $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    # Allow specific approved connections
    IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o ppp0 -s 123.123.123.45 -j ACCEPT

Beans

that sounds good. How will the computer know what connections have already been allowed to work?

Beans

The connection is remembered (in a connection tracking table) when it matches a -j ACCEPT rule (there is an inactivity timeout of a few minutes so they eventually get forgotten again). Once it is remembered it will match the ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT rule. So if you look at the counters agains the rules, the specific rule will only count 1 match for each new connection. The rest of the packets for a connection are counted against the ESTABLISHED rule.

Beans

That is so interesting. Thank you so much.

Beans

That technique is known as "stateful packet inspection." Early commercial firewall manufacturers touted it as a design feature and charged extra for it. Those of us using Linux have had free access to the technology since 1999-2000.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users