Thread: Is Getdeb.net dead?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Is Getdeb.net dead?

It seems like everytime I try to go to getdeb.net it's down with "This site can’t be reached
    getdeb.net’s server IP address could not be found." - Is the site dead, changed address, or what?
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Is Getdeb.net dead?

According to isitdownrightnow.com both getdeb.net and playdeb.net are down for everyone and have been for more than a week.
    Having looked on launchpad as well the last release I see mentioned for repositories/packages is xenial and nothing at all for 18.04 Bionic (the latest LTS).

Seems also the blog and wiki for getdeb are also unreachable.
    I haven't seen anything "official" as far as announcements etc, but it sure does look like both getdeb and playdeb are finished.
    Regards, yeti.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I see the alternative mirror archive site dotsrc.getdeb has a discontinued.txt file now
    https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/getdeb/
    That reads as:
    Note: GetDeb is discontinued, and the files hosted on mirrors.dotsrc.org will soon be removed.
    Seeing that it's only from last month, it's hard to say how definitive that is.
    But the fact that getdeb has been down longer then that probably doesn't bode well in the long run.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I see the alternative mirror archive site dotsrc.getdeb has a discontinued.txt file now
    https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/getdeb/
    That reads as:

Seeing that it's only from last month, it's hard to say how definitive that is.
    But the fact that getdeb has been down longer then that probably doesn't bode well in the long run.
    That sucks, guess it is gone...
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

shame, if someone else wanna keep it running the?
    i almost feel compelled...been used to the sites since i started my linux travel way back

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It didn't have much use lately IMO, considering the much larger application databases offered by the Snapcraft Store and Flathub (which also have the added bonus of being distro-agnostic).
    My Ubuntu / Linux / open source website LinuxUprising.

Beans

The demise of GetDeb killed my Update Manager on Linux Min 17 Rosa leaving me with an error message saying archive.getdeb could not be reached. It took me a while to figure out that all I needed to do to fix it was to remove that entry from the "Additional repositories" in the Software Sources. I can't believe I'm the only one to get caught on that so I'm adding this entry to the thread. My Update Manager works normally now.
    Last edited by 1kthomp; December 9th, 2018 at 09:39 PM. Reason: fix a spelling error