Thread: Trying a switch to Ubuntu 18.04 - couple questions :)

Beans

Lightbulb Trying a switch to Ubuntu 18.04 - couple questions :)

Hi there

I've been tired of Windows 10 for a while now and can't justify the cost of a Mac, so I'm giving Ubuntu 18 a go on my Dell Precision 5720 AIO. I've already installed Ubuntu, updated, good to go, seems to run fine, but have a couple questions. I'm not a command line pro by any means, but I can get around. Definitely resourceful.

1. I have 2 4K displays, 1 is part of the computer and the other is a secondary monitor. Is there fracitional scaling? I only see the ability to adjust scaling from 100% to 200% and 200% is too large. 150% or 175% would be great.

2. I've reviewed this article on creating desktop shortcuts, but is it possible to make shortcuts to the home folder, drives in the system, and the network on the desktop? If so, can you point me to a step by step on that?

3. Is there a way to make the cursor larger or invert the cursor color (windows has an inverted cursor scheme for this, makes it very handy to find your cursor)

Thanks for any help you have, really appreciate it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Trying a switch to Ubuntu 18.04 - couple questions :)

Quote Originally Posted by tbonecopper View Post
    2. I've reviewed this article on creating desktop shortcuts, but is it possible to make shortcuts to the home folder, drives in the system, and the network on the desktop? If so, can you point me to a step by step on that?
    the gnome desktop featured in Ubuntu is not really aimed to be having traditional "short cuts". otherwise it is possible to have th eones you want. however, since you want it all to look&feel a bit more like windows i would suggest you explore other desktops a bit. For example KDE, XFCE or Mate (the old Gnome) all work a little bit more like windows (in terms of user interface). many windows interface features were "borrowed" from KDE and vice versa.

3. Is there a way to make the cursor larger or invert the cursor color (windows has an inverted cursor scheme for this, makes it very handy to find your cursor)

Thanks for any help you have, really appreciate it.
    yes, this should be in desktop settings. you should also find various themes available. although gnome (the Ubuntu desktop) is not known for it's customization features, there are still plenty of them.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Trying a switch to Ubuntu 18.04 - couple questions :)

I might add that Ubuntu MATE is incredibly configurable, with your choice of layouts: Cupertino and Redmond are two, if you can guess what they do

The MATE layout itself allows icons to be added to the top dock or the desktop with a right-click.

And it doesn't use HUGE icons, the way GNOME3 does

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819