Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Android tablet and Linux

Remembering my post:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....ghlight=makem2

which is now closed:

The last post there by John_Thomas:

"No, you will be able to buy it here in the US. It will be available to be shipped world wide.

It is from a small tech development company out of Kansas City. The are wanting to bring an x86-based 2-in-1/tablet to the Linux community."

Has such a machine materialised?

Is there any other Android tablet capable of dual booting Linux?

I currently have Windows 10 and Android emulated on my laptop out of curiosity but really want to have a tablet about 10" max size for more convenient portability. If Android tablets can support xubuntu it would give me a wider choice of tablets.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Android tablet and Linux

I've run Ubuntu under a chroot on a 10 inch android tablet. It was around 2011, the OS was slow and keyboard mapping had issues that prevented it from being more than a toy to me. At the time, it was a high-end tablet. It was connected to a USB keyboard. I never attempted to chroot again on a tablet.

The best answer I've found for that sort of need is to get a Chromebook and wipe ChromeOS for a full Linux. That doesn't sound like a good solution for your needs, but with upcoming chromebooks having Android AND Linux support built-in, perhaps it will be?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Android tablet and Linux

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I've run Ubuntu under a chroot on a 10 inch android tablet. It was around 2011, the OS was slow and keyboard mapping had issues that prevented it from being more than a toy to me. At the time, it was a high-end tablet. It was connected to a USB keyboard. I never attempted to chroot again on a tablet.

The best answer I've found for that sort of need is to get a Chromebook and wipe ChromeOS for a full Linux. That doesn't sound like a good solution for your needs, but with upcoming chromebooks having Android AND Linux support built-in, perhaps it will be?
    I did read about chroot and noticed the speed concerns so discarded the idea.

Yes, it would be suitable I think. Thanks for the tip, I will investigate Chromebooks news.

I have been waiting for new stuff to come out this year but am getting a little impatient lol. It was many years ago I said, "When are they going to produce a handy size 2 in 1" We seem to be getting there, slowly.

EDIT: From the Chromebook site:

Starting today you’ll be able to preview Android Studio and other Linux apps on Google Pixelbook.

'preview' is the operative word. That does not suggest an OSis in the offing.
    Last edited by makem2; September 14th, 2018 at 08:19 PM.