Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver support for monitor

Beans

Driver support for monitor

Dear all,

would like to buy a dell monitor with the following spec
    DELL 2007FPB ULTRASHARP TFT LCD

1600x1200 20" MONITOR 4:3 VGA DVI 4 USB

However I cant find a dell hardware support library, I found https://opensource.dell.com/ but it seems a little confusing as to what it offers in terms of vdu support. Can anyone please advise? I have issues with my current monitor being too bright but having plugged an lg monitor in I can see it is likely the monitor going bad which is kind of unusual because the monitor worked fine before i switched graphics card.
    Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Driver support for monitor

Well I've been having a play around with some ideas.

My monitor is too bright to be seen on my new graphics card.

However if I plug my monitor into my windows laptop the brightness is fine suggesting it is not a monitor setting on the monitor itself.

If I plug another lg monitor into my graphics card on my pc the monitor shows appropriate colours.

Therefore it is not the card or the settings itself.

It therefore seems a weird mismatch between the monitor and the card. This must be a drivers issue then? Though having said that, I didnt need to install any more drivers to switch to the test monitor I plugged into my computer. I have to buy another monitor then??

Is it possible I can try installing drivers that aren't necessarily directly listed for the graphics / monitor card but would be usable none the less?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Why don't you go into the settings that are in the monitor itself: there is usually a brightness option there. One of the buttons on the monitor should get you into the settings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Why don't you go into the settings that are in the monitor itself: there is usually a brightness option there. One of the buttons on the monitor should get you into the settings.
    I have tried both settings on the monitor and the computer for brightness and contrast etc. Like I say the monitor itself looks fine when I plug into the laptop and the new monitor I connect to the linux install looks fine so it is clearly something to do with the setup of drivers for card or monitor. However I am not used to swapping monitors around since I rarely get issues with them.

Beans
    Hidden!

What graphic card do you have and what driver is being used?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    What graphic card do you have and what driver is being used?
    the card I have is ASUS Radeon HD 4350 (512 MB) SILENT HDMI PCI Express Video CardI have only just installed Lubuntu, nothing beyond a standard installatin and it has gstreamer codecs installed.

Beans

I thought this command tells you which driver is in use but i am not so sure

sudo lshw -c video
    *-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    version: 00
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
    resources: irq:27 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fdff0000-fdffffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff

Beans

Now why does this say i need to run as superuser when i did use sudo command???

$ sudo modinfo -F filename `lshw -c video | awk '/configuration: driver/{print $2}' | cut -d= -f2`
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
    WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
    /lib/modules/4.15.0-33-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko

Beans

$ lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550] [1002:954f]
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550] [1043:02a8]
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Kernel modules: radeon

Beans

I remember in windows a long time ago i was able to use a monitor driver that was different to the one specific for the monitor, can i try this in linux to see if this helps with the brightness issue?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast