Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to log in to Ubuntu server

Beans

how to log in to Ubuntu server

I just installed Ubuntu server 18.04.1 LTS on a new computer that I want to use as server.
    This is the first time I use any other OS than Windows.
    No problems logging in with username and password but that did not
    let me in to the program. Then came root and sudo.
    I have spent the last several hours reading postings on several communities and forums
    but alas, understood little.
    So I am stuck in sudo, could anyone please help me get past this and into the Ubuntu program?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: how to log in to Ubuntu server

Ubutnu is an operating system. you need to have a user created (the admin is created on install) then you just log in with username and password.

if you want to log in remotely you need a transfer protocol for that. i suggest OpenSSH.

what program do you want to log into actually? server has only command line installed. there is no desktop. if oyu want desktop on a server (not recomended) you need to install ubuntu-desktop package.

instead it if you need a user interface use a web browser based interface such as for example ajenti or zentyal.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Server Platforms for a better fit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

No problems logging in with username and password but that did not
    let me in to the program.
    What program are you wanting to run?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu Server is an operating system. It doesn't really do much on its own out of the box. You will need to install packages for specific tasks.

EDIT: When you installed the server software, you typed in an ID and password for the administrator account. That is what you use to login. If you need root-level access, you add "sudo" as a prefix to the command that needs elevated privileges. The "root" account itself is disabled for security reasons so you use "sudo" to run commands that need that level of access.

Here is a how-to guide I put together which I use as a base for every server I create: How to Install and Configure Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS. It is lengthy but it covers step-by-step the things I do to setup a production-level server that is designed to run and last for years.

Examples of software you can add onto Ubuntu Server:

Last edited by LHammonds; 1 Week Ago at 04:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I don't know what "stuck in sudo" means, but you can usually cancel out of anything shell program using <cntl>-c.

If you've never used Unix before, trying to work with any Linux server distro will be a very steep climb of knowledge. Very steep, indeed.

If you see a prompt like this
    Code:
    $
    , then you are in Ubuntu Server. There isn't any point-n-click, if that was your hope. Unix-like servers expect the user to be knowledgeable of the system.

If you google for "ubuntu server guide", it provides information for setting up specific services, but it will expect an intermediate-level of end-user knowledge for understanding the steps.

If the information provided in this thread is helpful and got you passed the issue, please mark it as "SOLVED" - thread tools button near the top. That helps the rest of the community - both seeking answers and looking to help others.

Beans

Thank you all for answers. Yes, I am New to Ubuntu and Linux, my only OS experience is Windows.
    I am looking for an OS for my newly built server, and was recommended Ubuntu.
    Now I understand that I am in Ubuntu server, that Learning to use it is a steep Climb.
    I did expect the OS to have a GUI.
    I want to keep Ubuntu, and learn to use it, but to get started With my server I need another OS, maybe Windows Home Server.

So the problem I face now is this: Is there an easy way to make partitions in Ubuntu Server, or should I rather make a fresh install and create partitions in the process?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Nobody knows these things when we started. Learning to use Unix-like OSes is like learning a new language. You can soften that curve by starting with a desktop. In Linux, the difference between what a desktop can do and what a server can do is dictated by which packages you install. On a desktop Linux install, you can install any server programs.

The server-stuff will still need manual configuration, but the desktop stuff is point-n-click for many things. However, the real power comes from using the shell, not the GUI. However, with a GUI, there are hundreds more attack vectors when compared to a Linux Server and GUIs eat resources that are better used for doing server work.

There are a few all-in-one Linux Server distros that make using it easier. These usually have a web front-end. Depends on what your main goals are with the system which might be best. I usually just install Ubuntu Server and configure the specific services I want based on they risk factors. For example, I keep external-facing services separate from internal-only services. I also keep infrastructure services separate. It

No need to ever touch any Windows Server, ever. I though MSFT discontinued WHS a few years ago. Yep. Not an option.
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...tream-support/

Partitioning is one thing I use a desktop ISO to perform if the disk is already being used. To modify partitions, those partitions cannot be in use. Booting from a flash drive with a live-boot distro like any Ubuntu Desktop will allow modification.

You can modify unmounted partitions using fdisk or parted. These are CLI tools. Depending on what you need to accomplish, they are easy-to-difficult to use.

For someone new to Linux, this link is a good overview: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...ows-users.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by karebo View Post
    I want to keep Ubuntu, and learn to use it, but to get started With my server I need another OS, maybe Windows Home Server.
    Ok so you want a GUI. Then try Zentyal (comes with webgui as well as desktop GUI and runs Ubuntu underneath) or Openmediavault (webgui only but easy to use).

So the problem I face now is this: Is there an easy way to make partitions in Ubuntu Server, or should I rather make a fresh install and create partitions in the process?
    since you prefer GUI you can boot into the desktop version (using live USB) and then use gparted to make partitions (don't forget to assign appropriate permissions to them).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans

Last night I found commands to install Xfce, and several hundred files installed, but it did not end
    in the Xubuntu desktop Gui that I expected, but the command line. I searched in vain for a command line
    to open Xubuntu. When I boot the computer today it seems to run through all the Xfce installation from yesterday,
    but it does not end with the usual command-line, just a blinking cursor.
    I am unable to write anything, so how do I get on from here?
    I even removed the SSD from the computer and tried to erase the installation from the disc, but it was inaccessible for the
    Windows Discmanager

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast