Thread: 18.04 avahi/mdns not working

Beans

Unhappy 18.04 avahi/mdns not working

Hi I am running 18.04 (mint remix) in an apple centric environment. They insist that I use bonjour/avahi/zeroconf for address resolution etc. Pinging a .local name results in "name or service not known". Using wire shark internally on the box or externally sees a series of multicast packets for the name and a response for that name.

There doesn't seem to be much about avahi issues since the 16 series of ubuntu. I have tried various settings of mdns and nsswitch.conf with no luck. I see that 18.04 is using systemd-resolved and I have enabled the mdns settings for resolved. I have run avahi-daemon from the commandline in debug mode and see it logging the lookup but no response logged - either it is not seeing it or it doesn't log it in any case.

I am not sure what to do next or what to look at.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers Paul

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 18.04 avahi/mdns not working

Moved to MINT.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Re: 18.04 avahi/mdns not working

this looks like a regression error. Works out of the box on Mint 18.3 Ubuntu 16.04

Cheers Paul