Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse stereo for speakers only

Beans

Question Reverse stereo for speakers only

Hi guys!

I'm trying to have stereo channels swapped (LR->RL) for speakers only so headphones are still LR.
    I'd love it to be done with alsa or pulseaudio without a hardware adapter.

What is the current state of the problem? Is there any ready-to-go solution? It looks like I can't find any "this is a canonical way to do it" manual on the internets.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Reverse stereo for speakers only

I don't see a "problem" here.

Have you thought about just simply swapping the physical positions of your speakers?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Have you thought about just simply swapping the physical positions of your speakers?
    Or swapping the wires that connect them?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That, too, would seem an effective course of action.

Provided, of course, that the wires are not permanently attached.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I don't see a "problem" here.

Swapping the physical position is what I want to do so the control knob (which sits on the the right channel speaker) goes to my left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Or swapping the wires that connect them?
    I'd love to do it in software. Surely stereo reverse for a particular output (speakers in my case) can be achieved easily in a hardware way even without soldering for example using a pair of 3.5mm to RCA splitters like these ones

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ah. Left-handed operation does put a different face on your question.

Beans

I've already tried that like the following:

0. Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa: add "restore_device=false" option to "load-module module-stream-restore", restart pulse.

1. Set the master sink to 100% volume so the remapped sink will have the same max volume as the master's.

2. Create a remapped sink (my master sink is alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo which is indexed 1)

Code:
    pactl load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=reverse-stereo master=1 channels=2 master_channel_map=front-right,front-left channel_map=front-left,front-right remix=no
    3. Make the remapped sink a default one

Code:
    pacmd set-default-sink reverse-stereo

As far new streams play on speakers as reverse stereo. Now I plug headphones and hear reverse stereo as well. To get it back to stereo I do the following:

4. Make the master sink a default one

Code:
    pacmd set-default-sink 1
    5. Set the headphones port for the master sink (so the headphones volume restores and overrides the master's 100%)

Code:
    pactl set-sink-port 1 analog-output-headphones

Now new streams play on headphones as stereo.

To make it switch sinks automaticly I'd have to:

6. monitor "jack/headphone HEADPHONE plug"/"jack/headphone HEADPHONE unplug" acpi events

7. Switch sinks on an event AND move active streams (listed by "pacmd list-sink-inputs") to the new default sink (which "pacmd move-sink-input stream_id sink_id").

8. There are also corner cases like booting with headphones plugged, mby something more.

So after all what I think is: why such a simple task takes so much steps?? Isn't there some canonical way with pulseaudio config only without relying on acpi?
    Last edited by ikazama; September 12th, 2018 at 11:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What I find interesting is that every set of speakers I have ever had or used always had the volume control on the left speaker. Never had a problem. I wonder why yours are backwards?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    What I find interesting is that every set of speakers I have ever had or used always had the volume control on the left speaker. Never had a problem. I wonder why yours are backwards?
    I've got Logitech Z120 and some other speakers. Both have the controls knob to the right channel speaker.

UPD: I've just dug out a rly old (produced in 1996) speakers in a closet. Same knob location. Lol.
    Last edited by ikazama; September 12th, 2018 at 11:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast