Thread: MINT: Trouble Getting Oracle VMBox To Read A USB CAC reader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

MINT: Trouble Getting Oracle VMBox To Read A USB CAC reader

I have one of the latest Mint versions on a very powerful computer just a few months old.

I have Oracle VMbox.

I have Windows 10 running in a virtual machine in Oracle VBBox.

I would like to work on my work computer from home.

My job requires a USB CAC ( Common Access Card, a smart card ) reader for this.

The set up directions for this are far easier on Windows than linux......hence my setting up of the virtual machine.

I had no problems getting an internet connection in Windows in the VM. It was just there.

However, there was a point in the directions where the user is told to plug the USB CAC reader in and Windows would automatically get the appropriate drivers. It didn't happen. I check the update settings, it is supposed to happen.

I surfed around for a while on the issue and discovered I might have to configure Oracle VMBox to see the USB CAC reader first.

I found the options for this greyed out ( see attached screen shot ).

Any ideas of where I go from here?

Thanks either way
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: MINT: Trouble Getting Oracle VMBox To Read A USB CAC reader

What version of VBox did you install; I suggest the latest 5.2.18, and have you installed the Extension Pack https://download.virtualbox.org/virt...8.vbox-extpack to get the Guest Additions of the same version, which may be all that is needed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: MINT: Trouble Getting Oracle VMBox To Read A USB CAC reader

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    What version of VBox did you install; I suggest the latest 5.2.18, and have you installed the Extension Pack https://download.virtualbox.org/virt...8.vbox-extpack to get the Guest Additions of the same version, which may be all that is needed?
    I have 5.1.38_Ubuntu r122592.

Its what is in the repository. When I was in synaptic I saw the extension pack for the same version and installed it. Those USB options are no longer greyed out.

I don't know whether that will get the CAC reader going but I will give it a try.

Thanks much for the information.