Thread: Nano text editor

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Nano text editor

Any nano fans out there? Version 3.0 is here: https://itsfoss.com/nano-3-release/
    I plan to give this new version a try just for fun.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Nano text editor

Yes, I love nano and never did manage to take the time needed to learn vi (vim); I imagine I'm not the only one who has said that.

I have just installed the binary 2.7.4.1 version from that linked site on my main Xubuntu 16.04 system and that works fine and seems to be fast, but the stable/unstable 2.9 versions are not possible in 16.04 due to unsatisfied dependencies.
    I will try the source code install of 3.0 on a virtual machine install of 18.04 later to see if it really is better as they say it should be.

EDIT:
    Just booted my 18.04 install and see that it already uses 2.9.3; now just waiting for the chance to compile source-code and try nano-3.0 in 18.04.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; September 9th, 2018 at 09:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I prefer nano over vi(m) these days, but the latter where many of us started and I use that quite often just because.

There are those elitists who look down their noses at nano. "Real men use vi" and "If you use nano, you are not worthy look under the hood" types. Bah.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Any nano fans out there? ...
    Yep, definitely a fan of nano here. I'd prefer to use nano even over gui editors like gedit or mousepad most of the time, its good alright.

Some of the new keybinding changes sound interesting; but I think I'll wait for the distros to catch up rather than building from source.

Cheers, yeti.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

OK, I have now built and installed from source on my virtual machine version of Lubuntu 18.04.

All seems well with it and it is certainly very fast, but I have always found the old versions of nano to be fast.
    I must now read up and figure out what is so new about this version.

I have also added the source version to my main 16.04 install and it's working fine there as well.
    I use checkinstall for the final part of installing source versions so it's easy to remove and go back to the repo version should I need to.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; September 11th, 2018 at 12:05 PM.