Thread: [Ubuntu] Touchpad not working - module i2c_designware_core can't be loaded

Beans

Question [Ubuntu] Touchpad not working - module i2c_designware_core can't be loaded

Hello all

I own two same laptops, ACER R131T

Upon upgrade of my daughter's, touchpad stopped working.

She's on 18.04 (4.15.0), and up-to-date Arch (4.18.6). I am on outdated 16.10 (4.8.0).

The difference I see between the two are in lsmod, where on mine I have two i2c_designware_(something) modules loaded and not on my daughter's

remmod these on my laptop kills the touchpad

modprobe them on my daughter's laptop doesn't load them (as I can see with lsmod|grep i2c)

I can find in my daughter's laptop one i2c_designware-pci.ko file, on my laptop there are three of them:

/lib/modules/4.8.0-54-generic/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-core.ko
    /lib/modules/4.8.0-54-generic/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-pci.ko
    /lib/modules/4.8.0-54-generic/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-platform.ko

I did try the grub edit "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i8042.reset quiet splash"" to no avail. removing and reinserting i2c_hid doesn't work either.

there is an error message at end of boot, says
    i2c_hid i2c_ELAN0501:00 Failed to reset device
    i2c_hid i2c_ELAN0501:00 Can't add hid device -61
    Any idea ?
    Last edited by zenerves; September 9th, 2018 at 08:45 AM.