Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Know How To See a List of What Snap Packages You've Installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Does Anyone Know How To See a List of What Snap Packages You've Installed

Use the following command.
    Code:
    sudo -H nautilus
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're going in circles here:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2399678
    You cannot delete snap files, as they are read-only.
    You must remove the snap package, and then the files will be gone.
    Unfortunately I do not know why it was not deleted when (or if) you removed the snap package, my best guess is you had the snap running,
    which may account for it not properly being removed.

I was mistaken earlier when I posted that they are in your home folder.
    Upon further look, these snap files are in the /snap directory, which is a special directory where snap squashfs file systems are mounted.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Code:
    snap list
    shows all snaps

Also more
    Code:
    snap list --all
    shows all snaps and all revisions
    to remove a snap
    Code:
    sudo snap remove <snap-name>
    to remove revisions
    Code:
    sudo snap remove <snap-name> --revision <revision-number>
    replace snap-package and revision-number with the snap name and revision number you want to remove.
    Typically dead or obsolete snaps will be marked as disabled in the description area at the end of the snap listing.
    So those are usually okay to remove, revision wise.

And
    Code:
    snap help
    for more commands and controls.
    This is great. Thanks for the informative post.

If I remove snapd, Will it also remove any packages that were installed via it? And will it cause problems later on down the line (such as missing dependencies)?

I just installed the latest Ubuntu (two days ago), I've installed chrome, spotify and slack and I'm already running out of space on my "/root" (16 GB were allocated); and snap is taking up over 2GB
    Code:
    sudo du -h --max-depth=1.

12M    ./sbin
    13M    ./etc
    4.0K    ./cdrom
    16K    ./root
    787M    ./lib
    2.3G    ./home
    4.0K    ./lib64
    229M    ./boot
    2.6G    ./usr
    4.0K    ./srv
    0    ./dev
    16K    ./lost+found
    2.1M    ./run
    4.0K    ./mnt
    13M    ./bin
    2.7G    ./snap
    8.0K    ./media
    57M    ./tmp
    7.1G    ./var
    0    ./proc
    0    ./sys
    211M    ./opt
    If it's not needed I would love it if I could remove it and get that space back.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Kylin 20.04 Focal Fossa

Deadflower, Sorry for getting back so late, but work has been very hard and exhausting lately! Anyway, I removed all snap packages that had to do with Google and I still see Google related files. Here is what this command still tells me.

Code:
    ~$ snap list --all
    Name                        Version                  Rev   Tracking  Publisher           Notes
    asunder-casept              2.8.1                    1     stable    casept              -
    clementine                  1.3.1.29+git             54    stable    kz6fittycent        -
    core                        16-2.35                  5328  stable    canonical✓          core
    core                        16-2.34.3                5145  stable    canonical✓          core,disabled
    core                        16-2.32.5                4486  stable    canonical✓          core,disabled
    core18                      0.1                      19    stable    canonical✓          base
    darktable                   2.4.3snap2               20    stable    kyrofa              disabled
    darktable                   2.4.4snap1               32    stable    kyrofa              -
    darktable-empanada          2.2.5                    2     stable    empanada            classic
    firefox                     62.0-2                   124   stable    mozilla✓            -
    firefox                     61.0.2-1                 118   stable    mozilla✓            disabled
    gnome-3-26-1604             3.26.0                   59    stable/…  canonical✓          disabled
    gnome-3-26-1604             3.26.0                   70    stable/…  canonical✓          -
    gnome-calculator            3.28.2                   199   stable/…  canonical✓          disabled
    gnome-calculator            3.26.0                   154   stable/…  canonical✓          disabled
    gnome-calculator            3.30.0                   222   stable/…  canonical✓          -
    gnome-characters            3.28.2                   117   stable/…  canonical✓          -
    gnome-characters            3.26.2                   69    stable/…  canonical✓          disabled
    gnome-logs                  3.26.2                   25    stable/…  canonical✓          disabled
    gnome-logs                  3.28.2                   40    stable/…  canonical✓          -
    gnome-system-monitor        3.26.0                   36    stable/…  canonical✓          disabled
    gnome-system-monitor        3.28.2                   54    stable/…  canonical✓          -
    gtk-common-themes           0.1                      319   stable    canonical✓          -
    handbrake-jz                1.1.1                    134   stable    jz                  -
    keepassx-elopio             2.0.2                    1     stable    elopio              -
    keepassxc                   2.3.4                    49    stable    keepassxreboot      -
    keepassxc                   2.3.4                    40    stable    keepassxreboot      disabled
    keepassxc                   2.3.4                    39    stable    keepassxreboot      disabled
    kpcli-elopio                3.0                      1     stable    elopio              -
    large-pcap-analyzer         3.5.1                    31    stable    francesco-montorsi  -
    opera                       55.0.2994.44             8     stable    opera-software✓     -
    simplescreenrecorder-mardy  0.3.8-3                  4     stable    mardy               -
    spotify                     1.0.88.353.g15c26ea1-14  19    stable    spotify✓            disabled
    spotify                     1.0.89.313.g34a58dea-5   21    stable    spotify✓

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You still have the firefox snap installed.
    Which is where the google references are.
    Firefox provides search engines, which Google is one of.

I'm sort of surprised there aren't any listing for opera as well.
    Since most browsers provide search engines for users to choose.
    And among those search engine choices is most always Google.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Distro

But I'm using Duckduckgo! Would just the suggestion be enough and would removing the Firefox snap do anything to Firefox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You should already have the regular Ubuntu repository version of Firefox preinstalled and updated.
    Since Ubuntu already ships with that version.

So removing the snap version shouldn't be that disruptive.

The one thing you might need to do is if you like the firefox profile you use, you'll need to (or can ) copy it from the snap directory to your normal mozilla/firefox directory.
    The snap firefox directory is in the home folder, it should be something like ~/snap/firefox/common/.mozilla/firefox
    Profiles are usually random string names like w34rft6.default.
    So you would just need to copy that folder into the mozilla directory at ~/.mozilla/firefox.

Once you copy it over you'll need to set it as the profile to use.
    Easy way to do that is open firefox and go to Help > Troubleshooting
    scroll down until you see about:profiles and click it.
    (alternatively you can just copy and paste about:profiles into the address bar to access the page instantly without going through the help troubleshooting pages)

This will open the profile page and you can select the profile you want to use as default here.
    To set it you need to actually Create it, so click on the Create profile button up top.
    Then in the make profile popup page click on the folder button and in the file chooser selection box it'll open the mozilla firefox directory. find the snap profile folder you added and select it and click the Open button.
    This will create the profile and now in the main profile page again go down to the new profile and select the set this as default.
    Once set, close and restart firefox and the profile will now be the old nap profile you had been using for the snap version.

Sorry it's a tad convoluted, and there is probably an even easier way.
    (Firefox sync might do...)

This is only if you really like all the settings you had setup in the very short time you've used the snap version.
    If not, then ignore and just remove the snap version and go about as you would with the normal apt version.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Distro

I'm still working on this. I removed the Firefox snap package and many still remain. I'll get a screen shot after I'. done removing the other non snap files. I have another question however. How do I remove a file with paranthesis in the name like this, UADescription (Googlebot/2.1)?

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

All my snap configurations are in the home/snap folder and at the moment there is only gnome apps and spotify, so if I remove spotify and delete the folder it should remove the entire configuration. Excuse me if you have tried this already.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; September 18th, 2018 at 03:14 AM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast