Thread: Wifi is connected to network but no internet access. It works elsewhere

Beans

Wifi is connected to network but no internet access. It works elsewhere

I ran into a weird problem that I have been trying to troubleshoot.

I successfully connected to my schools Wifi on my laptop (Ubuntu 18.04 LTE) but my internet was simply not working. I could not connect to ANY website. However, my cellphone connected fine and everything works.

I ran ifconfig and everything looked as it was suppose to. I tried rebooting, updating, upgrading etc. But still no cigar.

I then connected my laptop to my phone as a mobile hotspot and it works as fast as ever! However, I don't wanna rely on my phone when I am in the library.

Also, my laptop also connects to my home wifi router.

I will try to connect to other spots on campus today but they all use the same network so I feel it will be the same results.

This must be something to do my schools routers/network right? Any potential fixes?

Edit: I should add that I have been able to browse the internet on this network before. So something must have significantly changed.

In the meantime, I ordered a network adapter, I want to see if that works. If it doesn't, I guess I will have to reinstall MacOS, which I do not want to. But I might have too.
    Last edited by witcher--0; September 6th, 2018 at 06:12 PM. Reason: More information