Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 no Wifi adapter found RLT8821CE

Beans

Ubuntu 18.04 no Wifi adapter found RLT8821CE

sorry to bother you all, I just cant seem to find the answer. I have an HP pavilion x360 I just finished installing Ubuntu. I really like it but I cannot get the wifi working for the life of me.

The network controller is Realtek semiconductor RLT8821CE 80211ac pcie wireless network adapter. Please help!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 no Wifi adapter found RLT8821CE

"Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

when I try this code it works until I get to the chmod lines of code
    nothing happens when I hit enter. I type chmod +x dkms -install.sh and the terminal doesnt do anything

Beans

Sorry, I am pretty linux illiterate:/

Beans
    Distro

In this context, no response means, roughly, “Command executed as ordered. I have no errors or warnings to report. Next?”

Please proceed. You are doing fine so far.

EDIT: For your benefit and others that may browse this thread, this command:
    Code:
     chmod +x dkms -install.sh
    Means, roughly, 'change the mode of the file to make it executable' that is, so it can run and do things.

For an example, let's list all the attributes of some file:
    Code:
    chili@T440p:~$ ls -al some_file
    -rw-r--r-- 1 chili chili 13 Sep  5 09:28 some_file
    Now let's make the file executable:
    Code:
    chmod +x some_file
    And when we check its attributes again, we see:
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 chili chili 13 Sep  5 09:28 some_file
    Previously, the file was readable and writeable; now it is readable, writable and executable. That's the meaning of the x's in the attributes.

The change in mode is required for the file dkms-install.sh because you are, in the next steps, going to ask it to do something important; install your driver!
    Last edited by chili555; September 5th, 2018 at 02:38 PM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Chili you are the best! thank you. Now, the wifi networks are getting connected but disconnecting over and over again. any idea how to fix that?

Beans
    Distro

Let's turn off power saving in Network Manager to see if it helps; from the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/3/2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/*
    And restart NM:
    Code:
    sudo service network-manager restart
    Any improvement?

Quite often, in Linux drivers, the router settings can be tweaked to give better performance.

First, check the settings in the router. WPA2-AES is preferred; not any WPA and WPA2 mixed mode and certainly not TKIP. Second, if your router is capable of N speeds, you may have better connectivity with a channel width of 20 MHz in the 2.4 GHz band instead of automatic 20/40 MHz, although it is likely to affect N speeds. I also have better luck with a fixed channel, either 1, 6 or 11, rather than automatic channel selection. Also, be certain the router is not set to use N speeds only; auto B, G and N is preferred. After making these changes, reboot the router.

Then set your regulatory domain explicitly. Check yours:
    Code:
    sudo iw reg get
    If you get 00, that is a one-size-maybe-fits-all setting. Find yours here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2 Then set it temporarily:
    Code:
    sudo iw reg set IS
    Of course, substitute your country code if not Iceland. Set it permanently:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/crda
    Change the last line to read:
    Code:
    REGDOMAIN=IS
    Proofread carefully, save (Ctrl+o followed by Enter) and close (Ctrl+x) the text editor.

Beans

Its Working now! you are such an amazing help!! How do you know so much?! haha

Beans
    Distro

Glad it's working!

What little I know, I have gleaned in working with Linux here and on other forums almost every day for only about fifteen years!

Have fun!