Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible MSI GeForce GT 710 Driver Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Possible MSI GeForce GT 710 Driver Issues

I just completed an installation of the latest version of Ubuntu on my Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 with an Athlon AMD 640x4 CPU running an MSI GeForce GT 710 video card and I'm having possible driver issues??
    As per this discussion:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....ght=MSI+GT+710

I entered the suggested commands in the terminal and it appears I have version 340.104 for drivers installed and not the 384 driver.
    Otherwise on
    https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/137276

they list the following and 384 is the earliest version shown. Also this is a dual boot setup where Windows 7 64 is installed and this card is working fine on Windows. The problems on the latest version of Ubuntu is I have squares and rectangles speckled on my screens (dual monitors otherwise working fine) and on a white screen image these squares and rectangles are yellow and in the terminal with a black screen they are blue. Please bear with me being new to LInux and mainly used to the "Device Manager" in windows which is used to check the status of hardware and drivers and update them as required. I'm open to suggestions and if need be I can copy and paste commands in the terminal to bumble along being a Windows GUI slave. I have downloaded and saved both the 384 and 390.87 drivers and just need a bit of advice on how to install and if required remove the 340.104 driver if required to do so? Below is a bit of info on the 2nd latest 390 driver and the latest is a BETA version. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Release Date Mon Aug 27, 2018
    Operating System Linux 64-bit
    Language English (US)
    File Size 78.86 MB

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Possible MSI GeForce GT 710 Driver Issues

hennmann; Hello -

I too run that card on an AMD platform - I have no issues with this card.
    sysop@x1810:~$ sudo lshw -C display
    [sudo] password for sysop:
    *-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: GK208B [GeForce GT 710]
    vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
    version: a1
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
    resources: irq:16 memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:d8000000-dfffffff memory:e6000000-e7ffffff ioport:4c00(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

sysop@x1810:~$ dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
    ii libnvidia-cfg1-390:amd64 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library
    ii libnvidia-common-390 390.87-0ubuntu1 all Shared files used by the NVIDIA libraries
    ii libnvidia-compute-390:amd64 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA libcompute package
    ii libnvidia-compute-390:i386 390.87-0ubuntu1 i386 NVIDIA libcompute package
    ii libnvidia-decode-390:amd64 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA Video Decoding runtime libraries
    ii libnvidia-decode-390:i386 390.87-0ubuntu1 i386 NVIDIA Video Decoding runtime libraries
    ii libnvidia-encode-390:amd64 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
    ii libnvidia-encode-390:i386 390.87-0ubuntu1 i386 NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
    ii libnvidia-fbc1-390:amd64 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library
    ii libnvidia-fbc1-390:i386 390.87-0ubuntu1 i386 NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library
    ii libnvidia-gl-390:amd64 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES GLVND libraries and Vulkan ICD
    ii libnvidia-gl-390:i386 390.87-0ubuntu1 i386 NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES GLVND libraries and Vulkan ICD
    ii libnvidia-ifr1-390:amd64 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library
    ii libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386 390.87-0ubuntu1 i386 NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library
    ii nvidia-compute-utils-390 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA compute utilities
    ii nvidia-dkms-390 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA DKMS package
    ii nvidia-driver-390 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA driver metapackage
    ii nvidia-kernel-common-390 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 Shared files used with the kernel module
    ii nvidia-kernel-source-390 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA kernel source package
    ii nvidia-prime 0.8.9 all Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
    ii nvidia-settings 390.77-0ubuntu1 amd64 Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    ii nvidia-utils-390 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA driver support binaries
    ii xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-390 390.87-0ubuntu1 amd64 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
    sysop@x1810:~$
    Installing the driver from Nvidia is the means of last resort - even Nvidia says do not do this, but get the driver from the distro's software archive.
    In your case try terminal commands::
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/X11/Xorg.conf  ## just in case this file should exist
    cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf ##see what this config file looks like
    sudo apt purge nvidia
    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    reboot to see the effect.

all better now ?
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

While reading your reply it would appear you have the 390.386 driver installed? Sorry I'm reading and responding on my tiny smartphone without my reading glasses. Otherwise where your 390,386 is listed I see 340 so I probably have the wrong or improper driver. Otherwise I also have an MSI 970A SLI Krait with an MSI Armor 570OC and it worked fantastic right away. When I get my Gigabyte working I will install Ubuntu back on the Krait running Win 7 as a a dual boot seeing now how easy this is to accomplish on the Gigabyte.

Beans
    Distro

hennmann; Yup -

You have the right of it all . I do have the 390 version driver installed, and yes - that is the driver you do want installed.

my bit to try and help

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay thanks for your help so far! I would take a guess that the incorrect driver has to be removed and the correct installed but removing it will be a guess to me. Can one install the correct driver first and remove the 340 after or does it need to be purged out of the OS first? This is one reason why I ran away from Linux at 90 miles per hour with my hair on fire over 12 years ago due to that archaic CLI and of course if you don't know the commands is the same as getting behind the wheel of your car and not knowing how to turn the ignition key to even start the engine. The device manager on Windows at least lets you browse for a directory of the driver and then select it.

Beans
    Distro

hennmann; Welp -

Me I am the opposite - I avoid the GUI as I am terminally minded.
    ubuntu GUI way: software sources -> additional drivers.

else we do do this in terninal

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

At least things have improved in a positive way such as when I installed Kodi it was click on the selection and it downloaded and installed complete with an Icon on the desktop to select it. It wasn't even that long ago one needed a command just to do this!! I can think of only two people who use Linux or should I say count on my fingers who uses it with many left over. It is no wonder the amount of users is dropping off. The CLI reminds me of DOS and who uses that now? As for the CLI unless you know the commands (of many) you are SOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Also another thing puzzles me?? Why is the driver from the actual manufacturer a last resort?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Where are the drivers on this site?? If the drivers in this latest version of Ubuntu for this card are obviously incorrect why are they not updated?? I have the drivers from the manufacturer but they are just there to sit and look at! Don't forget if people are thinking of making the transition from Crapple or Windoze perhaps the transition could be made a bit more user or should I say NOOB friendly?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you install the drivers directly from nVidia, you have to in effect reinstall with every kernel update. The drivers are reconfigured to auto work with new kernels if you install directly from Ubuntu repository.

NVidia has multiple drivers. Older cards do not have features that new cards have, so the freeze a driver and then may only do security updates to that series of drivers. Newest cards keep getting newer drivers until they are older and driver is then frozen. Installing too new of a driver can lead to issues, just as installing too old of a driver.

This should be all you have to do, if newer driver required. If older card you do not even have to add ppa.
    # Shows standard repository versions, which is the same as gui list here:
    System Settings, Software & Updates icon, Additional drivers tab, With 18.04, the only way I can get to this now is with Software Updater & Settings.

Shows drivers:
    ubuntu-drivers devices
    And you should get a recommended driver like this for my GeForce GT 620:
    driver : nvidia-driver-390 - distro non-free recommended

Link to where ppa is showing what it has, not required to look at, just add ppa as below.
    https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa

# make sure system is up to date
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa <--optional only if newer card/chip
    sudo apt-get update
    # should show newest versions available in addition, if ppa added
    ubuntu-drivers devices
    You then can manually choose any in list.
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-XXX

Ubuntu tries to offer current driver by model of nVidia card, but ISO is frozen and only will have versions available when ISO released. Newer versions will in repository, but you must purge old version or incorrect version, otherwise drivers conflict. Installing new driver does not automatically remove all of old driver.

For those with very new nVidia cards/chips, there is a ppa that is like an updated repository and makes it easy to install nVidia driver. But you need to know version you need.

Updated driver search by nVidia model, do not download, just check correct driver version
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers
    Fermi based should use 390.xx not newer
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...s-geforce-gpus

If wrong nVidia driver or upgrade, you must purge & install correct driver, more details:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....6#post13649946
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2380061
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2362351
    Last edited by oldfred; September 5th, 2018 at 05:28 PM.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast