Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 18.04.1 Server all DNS resolution broken, no luck troubleshooting so far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 18.04.1 Server all DNS resolution broken, no luck troubleshooting so far

Just FYI, I installed my home server with 18.04.1 this weekend (clean install) and apart from some minor issues due to compatibility with the new Ryzen 5 2400G CPU, all the rest went just fine.

The DNS stub 127.0.0.53 is created automatically and listening on port 53. The netplan file was also created based on the info I put in during installation. The /etc/network/interfaces file is empty.

I don't have any problems with either network/internet connectivity or DNS resolving.

Like I said before, it might be a good moment for you to evaluate whether a new clean install will get you faster to a fully working system...
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Hey Darko - indeed; I decided I agree with you. I backed up my most important config files for various stuff and then took a blow torch to the old installation.

At first I reinstalled a fresh 18.04.1 - still had DNS problems. I'm not entirely confident in the viability of 18.04 yet for the use of a trouble-free server machine. A lot of things have not gone very smoothly since I upgraded my prior install (which actually looks to have been 17.10 - not the LTS). And I see a lot of similar problems with DNS on 18.04 on the forums this year.

So I ended up flashing the 16.04 LTS and installed that system. I've got most of my important stuff back to working properly. I'll be working on configuring my static DNS for this 16.04.5 installation fairly soon, but for now it works at least so I can tunnel into my machine while away and still get work done.

Thanks for bearing with me through all of my problems last week.

Beans

Had the same issue upgrading from 16.04 to 18.10 - DNS could not resolve addresses although ping did reach network ip addresses - therefore no repositories could be reached to complete the upgrade process. Normally I would never attempt doing this with wifi & always used ethernet cable for installs. For the sake of testing & curiosity I choose to try it this way.

The solution was quite simple after searching what others had attempted running into the same issues.

Edit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf with your favorite editor

Change
    dns=dnsmasq

to

dns=systemd-resolved

Restart NetworkManager

sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

You should now have DNS resolving properly.
    Other solutions can be found https://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fi...-10-16-04.html
    Last edited by sioxs; October 20th, 2018 at 06:24 PM. Reason: additional comments

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456