Thread: Upgrade from 17.10 to 18.04 switched Ubuntu back to Unity

Beans

Exclamation Upgrade from 17.10 to 18.04 switched Ubuntu back to Unity

Dear Ubuntu Community,

Until two days ago I was using 17.10 with Gnome when deciding to upgrade to 18.04 LTS. The upgrade initially went successful, and I was using 18.04 with Gnome. Once installed I saw a couple of updates were available still, some security updates and other things. I didn't pay to much attention to what the updates were and just updated.

Upon reboot I was presented the login screen I know from 16.04. When I logged in all my icons in the dock on the left were reset to the defaults (FF, LibreOffice, Software) and I had to use dash as well. This came with some other issues like settings of how I interact with my computer have been reset to Unity defaults (scrolling, datetime etc).

Now, I didn't want to install Gnome manually since I hope I can still restore it in a way while keeping my settings. I can't figure out how to 'switch' to gnome, and am in general confused as to how Unity came back since I thought that was completely removed. (I now see in the logs that it installed unity-control-center and some other unity package a couple of days ago).

Before issuing a bug I thought I would ask the question here. Maybe I missed a setting or something. I could not find anyone with the same problem.

Current version: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Beans

Re: Upgrade from 17.10 to 18.04 switched Ubuntu back to Unity

From the greeter screen click on the gear icon next to user name & choose a gnome session. Whatever you choose will become the new 'default'