Thread: How to install 32 bit flash? - OR - Hulu only plays commercials not programs

Beans

How to install 32 bit flash? - OR - Hulu only plays commercials not programs

Just installed Ubuntu on my computer and I can't make Hulu work in Firefox. It will only play the commercials but when the program SHOULD come on, it loads a gray-black screen and does nothing.

(My now deceased Win 8 laptop had the same problem, which I fixed by going back to a previous save. Can't do that here since my comp is a new build.)

This post, describing the same exact problem: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1490837 says I need to uninstall Flash 64 bit and then install Flash 32 bit. Problem is, it doesn't say
    HOW to do that, and the only info I could find on how-to was a video in German.

Thanks much for your help!

Beans

Re: How to install 32 bit flash? - OR - Hulu only plays commercials not programs

Not a Hulu subscriber, but their FAQ lists two options for viewing in a browser, hulu.com and new.hulu.com. The latter isn't supposed to use flash at all, according the FAQ.

Holger

Beans

Re: How to install 32 bit flash? - OR - Hulu only plays commercials not programs

Quote Originally Posted by lionrhod View Post
    Just installed Ubuntu on my computer and I can't make Hulu work in Firefox. It will only play the commercials but when the program SHOULD come on, it loads a gray-black screen and does nothing.

(My now deceased Win 8 laptop had the same problem, which I fixed by going back to a previous save. Can't do that here since my comp is a new build.)

This post, describing the same exact problem: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1490837 says I need to uninstall Flash 64 bit and then install Flash 32 bit. Problem is, it doesn't say
    HOW to do that, and the only info I could find on how-to was a video in German.

Thanks much for your help!
    Most likely because flash for Linux desktop doesn't play drmed content rather than needing 32 bit. That link you provided is very old and the info is likely outdated. See post 17 and 18 of this thread.

Edited: Just saw the post above, if you can access without flash this would be the best, flash is dying a long agonizing death these days. I wouldn't even install it unless you use some legacy sites.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 23rd, 2018 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Did you enable DRM content in Preferences? Which version of firefox and Ubuntu are you using? Is ubuntu-restricted-extras installed?

Beans

with new.hulu.com, I can't watch commercial, and the program itself shows as an "Error 5003" which seems to be an error code related to Apple TV and Playstation. Thanks for the idea, though!

Beans

I tried following posts 17 and 18, but got lost in miliseconds. What is pepperflash? How do I install chrome? What are the commands I need to do any of this, and where do I find the programs? Almost anything I find references windows, not unbuntu.

Apologies, but I'm so new to linux/unbuntu that I am clueless.

Beans

I enabled DRM content in preferences.

I am using Firefox 61.0.1 64 bit. Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. I tried figuring out how to install the "restricted extras" and I got some sort of message about fonts. I have absolutely no idea what that is or how to find out if it's installed already.

Also, I installed Chromium and that wants me to install flash all over again, even though it's been installed at least 3 or 4 times.

Of course I've also contacted Hulu support. Their folks doen't even know what Linux IS.

Thanks everyone!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

The ubuntu-restricted-extras package includes ttf-mscorefonts-installer, its EULA appears in a terminal and you must agree to it before the package can be successfully installed. Run
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    , watch for the terminal, then press Tab to select "OK" and Enter to agree. Once that's done, restart Firefox, and try hulu again.

I just watched the opening bit of 'Castle Rock' on hulu, and it works. I'm using Xubuntu 18.04 and Firefox 61.0.1, same as you.

Beans

Tried this and got the following:

kent@kent-MS-7641:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    [sudo] password for kent:
    Sorry, try again.
    [sudo] password for kent:
    Setting up libmspack0:amd64 (0.6-3ubuntu0.1) ...
    Setting up cabextract (1.6-1.1) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra (68.0.3440.106-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Setting up libopencore-amrnb0:amd64 (0.1.3-2.1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2) ...
    Setting up libopencore-amrwb0:amd64 (0.1.3-2.1) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
    kent@kent-MS-7641:~$

Nothing came up where I could tab to an "Okay"

Restarted Firefox but no improvement.

Thanks!
    Last edited by lionrhod; September 8th, 2018 at 05:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Code:
    sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    In a terminal will give you what you need to install restricted extras