Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam sent today by seoemailbot via the ubuntuforums.org platform

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Angry Spam sent today by seoemailbot via the ubuntuforums.org platform

I just was just sent spam by @seoemailbot, obviously a fly-by-night individual promoting his/her trash and in typical trashy way. The email promotes the bells and whistles of an email bot for spam. Apart from the fact that what it extolls as features would be extremely easy to program an automate, the real question is does ubuntuforums.org condone that ?
    If that person was in any doubt as to what I thought about the nuisance he/she represents, there goes my answer.
    I vote to bar that individual from the platform and its forums... forever.

[See spam email content quoted below]

Email spam received today from seoemailbot via ubuntuforums.org
    Email Bot | Best Email Automation application | Email Services

Hello!
    I Just want to tell you about Email Bot.
    I hope you will not ignore this.
    What is Email Bot ?
    Email Bot is an automated Email Services platform driven by Artificial intelligence to help you make maximum out of Email Marketing. Email Bot is among the most trusted Email Sending platform where we have integrated automation with artificial intelligence to ensure that our users doesn’t lose out on any opportunity while sending the emails. Email Bot Makes use of Dedicated IPS, Spam Filters, Email Servers to make sure each email is delivered to users inbox. We make sure of AI to make sure not even a single email goes to SPAM.
    Email Marketing is a highly volatile one. It undergoes changes every passing hour Rules and Regulations are changed every single moment by Email Providers. With Email Bot, you get an automated platform that uses artificial intelligence in order to identify the SPAM Content and filter it properly. Each Email is send using IP Rotation Techniques. We have 2300 Dedicated IPS and Powerful Servers to make sure your message reaches to potential clients or customers.
    Email Bot makes Email Marketing an easy venture for all its users. Developed on extensive usage of AI, it is among the most efficient Email Sending platform available which executes automated tracking, sending reports, delivery reports and click reports.
    For all those, who values time, money and essence of both, Email Bot is the platform to be a part of. With no knowledge of programming and codes required, it is as easy as it can be to set up and get going. You don’t even need to possess extensive knowledge or any expertise of programing, our AI systems and its regular analysis takes care of that part too for you.
    Every Email Send in SPAM folder is an opportunity lost. Be a part of Email Bot NOW and start maximizing your profits like hundreds of others doing it already.
    Please let me hear your thoughts.
    Many Thanks!
    Last edited by slickymaster; August 22nd, 2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: removed the redirects form them spam message
    --
    Lx Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS) Desktop Ed. on HP 8510w
    Intel T9300 Duo Core 2.5GHz - 4GB RAM - 64 bits

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Spam sent today by seoemailbot via the ubuntuforums.org platform

Without the email headers, I won't believe it came through email.
    Anyone can put any "FROM" address into an email. Validation of that isn't part of the specification for a number of good reasons. For $5, you can run an email server and send messages from GOD if you like.

If it was a private message, you should use the resolution center to deal with that specific login. The mods here are excellent at cleaning up spammy accounts, but there's no way to be inviting for new users AND block every spammer before they get a chance to send a few messages.

So - if it was email, please post the full headers.

Beans
    Hidden!

Spammers often use tricks to make you think think that an email came from somewhere other than where they really came from. Websites such as WhatIsMyIpAddress have online tools that can help you analyze email headers and trace email back to its true source.

If your unwanted email relates to a spammy private message, you can use the forum's "Report Post" button to ask the staff to take a look.
    Last edited by lisati; August 22nd, 2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Spammer has been identified and action taken
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have just searched correspondence among the Staff indicating that this was contained in a PM received by one of us.

This is not an email from someone spoofing ubuntuforums.org, but a PM from a spammer who registered here and has since been banned.

I re-iterate lisati's last sentence in his post above.

Thanks all.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Correct. I agree with @lisati that I should have signalled the spam-message recieved via the forum's web page, rather than to try to draw the Forum's council's attention by posting in the Cafe space.

I also did check the header of the private email sent to me by that disreputable person. I add it as a new message in this thread, in response to @thefu's query about it.

Finally I am moving to request that the sanction imposed on me as if I were the spammer be lifted. What is the best way to go about placing that request ?

Cheers,

-ced
    --

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here is the header to the email I received, in response to @TheFu's query about it.
    TheFu I did not provide that header because by looking at it it was obvious to me that it was genuine. My bad. I hope that lifts the doubt you guys may have about me posting in good faith to draw the Council's attention to that spam.
    Here goes:

Subject: New Private Message at Ubuntu Forums
    Date: 22/08/2018, 12:06
    To: xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxx.xxx
    X-Account-Key: account1
    X-UIDL: GmailId165611f730947692
    X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
    X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
    Delivered-To: xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxx.xxx
    Received: by 2002:ab0:1d17:0:0:0:0:0 with SMTP id j23-v6csp6001479uak; Wed, 22
    Aug 2018 03:12:55 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Google-Smtp-Source: AA+uWPzCmS89GqErRu6/Pnq79UWSjPCPfjBUv59V2fUitTSsMD
    /qeqExNH8YHw7e58kwYgsZ24B+
    X-Received: by 2002:a02:89fc:: with SMTP id e57-
    v6mr15534927jak.44.1534932775603; Wed, 22 Aug 2018 03:12:55 -0700 (PDT)
    ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1534932775; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-
    20160816; b=KPu2chy+34I+NIp4yDqc++aru5+OAXs2dy+pBa/OtVqcyy7Aho3Nwsbh
    /qM3bq16I4
    LyAqowOY2NYwBweqF1BeQ2yMynpU5TA4ZnKeWSC6T3sasYoVA5 OrcGeLUXlHdtNYbxRn
    L+G0753xoM4lnc20URXHbwrAzSNGXxR9dIynMmkyoNt6+C+RWv LolYDyG1ao3g5dixXy
    9mAYUgA9A6cRlI1BGRLvt/eP9iblVeBzCpXn1+Fr7rCmftl8q5gCDWXCbZ4R7INaBKbv
    C34REXM8Icn0+DjgUFZMhELZo6bDnAwpuz0D/llLx036FK2AfqH0L4sXgV8bpvD5Mcfz
    fJ7Q==
    ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com;
    s=arc-20160816; h=subject:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:message-id :autosubmitted:from:to:date:arc-authentication-results;
    bh=ekK4xief06AvTvzC1EA6ByAZRr+ITydrWpxu6OKzG1g
    b=Wy7DCAS2Yf+sBY/jUDoCmdXp8Wyqjz/SyIjrYWsNf1WulwM7ZUEn/LNPz5jcfq2Gr7
    slJHdgIk9+JcjNrrXaUuX4M/wpv44/H5zSso9PM6JTYZbg+AOVCB6ZPR9+i+rspiy1mf
    QHcnK1ov1bicJalIcaEl1zsdxI5e4hZ+3W4sHfIvPnluEM8jxD fZzEQp/ShgsfbNhR4i
    mU0ob16Y5z5yP1tWqfgl8J7BHKaB9eJvFAHZK5E3P96q9mNDsK AHQz9GCIDRVhbxhA7c
    YU4nDHC+LfIOy4FdVpZs5OTsBWbNKUckSTZudsVRTN13hOiFNh Uir831G6PVbYxucaeC
    iukA==
    ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com:
    91.189.94.16 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of
    info@ubuntuforums.org) smtp.mailfrom=info@ubuntuforums.org
    Return-Path: <info@ubuntuforums.org>
    Received: from marula.canonical.com (marula.canonical.com. [91.189.94.16]) by
    mx.google.com with ESMTP id m68-v6si1130848ith.124.2018.08.22.03.12.55 for
    <cedric.bhihe@gmail.com>; Wed, 22 Aug 2018 03:12:55 -0700 (PDT)
    Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 91.189.94.16 is neither permitted nor denied by
    best guess record for domain of info@ubuntuforums.org) client-ip=91.189.94.16;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 91.189.94.16 is
    neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of
    info@ubuntuforums.org) smtp.mailfrom=info@ubuntuforums.org
    Received: from mail.ubuntuforums.org (adhene.canonical.com [91.189.94.50]) by
    marula.canonical.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5CEC580181 for
    <cedric.bhihe@gmail.com>; Wed, 22 Aug 2018 10:06:48 +0000 (UTC)
    Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
    Message-ID: <20180822100648.b2ca443f993a@ubuntuforums.org>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
    Last edited by slickymaster; August 27th, 2018 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Removed email details
    --

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That is the header from the email notifying you of a PM on the Ubuntu Forums. That is an automatic process. The spam itself is not from ubuntuforums.org.

Again -- the offending spammer has been identified and banned.

The infraction against your account has already been reversed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to post. Sorry for the inconvenience. We're all human volunteers. Mistakes occur.
    Last edited by QIII; August 22nd, 2018 at 10:27 PM.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What class of a misunderstanding is all this ? First someone accuses me of being the spammer (namely @slickymaster), then there is quibbling about the meaning of the word "from". Sorry @QIII if I react a bit heatedly, but I did not like at all being unjustly sanctioned and therefore accused of something I precisely fight against (just like most of us (except as a network guy, it's become part of my daily tasks to fight spam and I don't like it at all).

So ... take a breath. The spam is obviously NOT from ubuntuforums.org. Who could ever think that ubuntuforums.org would start dedicating itself to that ? No me.
    However it was sent FROM the platform. That is all I was saying. My original post was to that effect: basically to warn against this and to take action against the individual who is responsible.

I request that the sanction taken against me be lifted. What is the proper way of doing this ?

Cheers,

-ced.
    --

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The sanction HAS been lifted. slickymaster is a human and a volunteer. We all make mistakes. This one has been corrected.

As for the "misunderstanding", please recall your first post:

I just was just sent spam by @seoemailbot, obviously a fly-by-night individual promoting his/her trash and in typical trashy way. The email promotes the bells and whistles of an email bot for spam. Apart from the fact that what it extolls as features would be extremely easy to program an automate, the real question is does ubuntuforums.org condone that ?
    Ubuntu Forums does not condone such things, which is why the spammer was banned.

What breath do I need to take? As far as I know, I'm under no stress whatsoever.

What is your question? You were told to report such PMs using the Report Post button. The email is of no consequence, as it was simply a notification.

There is no need to belabor this.
    Last edited by QIII; August 22nd, 2018 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I request that the sanction taken against me be lifted. What is the proper way of doing this ?
    As QIII stated in his last post the sanction has been lifted already, it was immediately after the mistake was made, as QIII said we are sorry for the inconvenience but we are all volunteers here and we make mistakes like everyone else.

This kind of thing should be addressed in the Resolution Centre not here where we are dragging this thread off topic.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; August 22nd, 2018 at 10:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast