Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Manual Full System Encryption has been updated and simplified

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Manual Full System Encryption has been updated and simplified

Thank you for sharing this. I will be testing this soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yet another alternative, which looks promising. If you try it, please report back on this alternative how-to by Tj. I have also added this to the first post.
    Last edited by Paddy Landau; April 18th, 2020 at 01:21 PM.

Beans

Just gave this a try on Kubuntu 20.04. The steps were all perfectly clear, no confusion or hangups anywhere. The only differences from the instructions were that the script didn't auto-launch the installer (I launched it by hand), and the installer didn't have any errors at the end (i.e. no warning about the grub installation failure, no crash, no error report).

Unfortunately though, it didn't work. I tried it thrice, completely from scratch, just to make SURE I didn't do anything wrong. After finishing the 2nd part of the script & rebooting, I never saw the "EFI screen" mentioned on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...eckAndFinalise. Instead, it went straight to "OS selection prompt" (aka the grub menu). Selecting the Ubuntu entry shows "error: no such device: xxxxx."

I tried the troubleshooting steps (refreshgrub), but it didn't change anything.

Beans

Solved it. You just need to add --type=luks1 to the invocation of cryptsetup luksFormat.

The clue came from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fu...ion_Howto_2019

"The default LUKS (Linux Unified Key Setup) format used by the cryptsetup tool has changed since the release of 18.04 Bionic. 18.04 used version 1 ("luks1") but more recent Ubuntu releases default to version 2 ("luks2"). GRUB only supports version 1 so we have to be explicit in the commands we use or else GRUB will not be able to install to, or unlock, the encrypted device. "

Also, you might consider merging the changes from here, which allows you to use btrfs instead of ext4: https://github.com/sgebbie/encryptinstallation.btrfs

Beans
    Distro

@metal450 — Thank you for this! I've included your page in the notes. If only Canonical took encryption seriously, it would save all this hassle!

Beans

I agree. It's completely absurd that it's so difficult & time-consuming to do something that should be so simple, and that they've known about for literally years & years...

Beans

Post Grub issue

So I just installed a new kernel, & refreshgrub always reports:

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-26-generic
    Error 24 : Write error : cannot write compressed block
    E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 141 lz4 -9 -l 24
    update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-26-generic with 1.
    Failed to prepare initrafms.
    refreshgrub: Grub update failed
    Grub update failed.

Please do not restart or shut down until you have manually run the following command, even if the Software Updater asks you restart.

sudo refreshgrub
    I've run it like 10 times. It always fails. And the message makes me afraid to reboot. What should I do?
    Last edited by metal450; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:07 AM.

Beans

Solved. Apparently that's what it does when /boot fills up (so you need to remove old kernels). Perhaps a user-friendly message about why it failed & how to solve?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by metal450 View Post
    Solved. Apparently that's what it does when /boot fills up (so you need to remove old kernels). Perhaps a user-friendly message about why it failed & how to solve?
    Thanks for posting the solution. How large is your /boot partition? Ideally, it should be at least 500Mb (½Gb).

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Paddy,

Have you noticed that the installer Calamares in Lubuntu 20.04 LTS can create a system with 'encrypted disk' without any unencrypted boot partition? I suggest that you test it and let us know what you think about it (in comparison to your system).

At this link there is a discussion and description of the Lubuntu encrypted disk.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415