Thread: Overwrite Elelmentary Loki OS

Beans

Cool Overwrite Elelmentary Loki OS

Hi

I have dual boot Windows 10 machine with elementary installed on a 25GB partition with grub as the boot loader. Elementary first and windows third down the list

I hate Elementary and would like to install Ubuntu instead but I am worried about the process.

If I insert a USB stick with Ubuntu on it and boot to it, will it ask where I want to install it? and will it let me overwrite EOS? And if it does, will it make the necessary changes to grub, to replace elementary with Ubuntu?

Thanks for any advice

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Overwrite Elelmentary Loki OS

Thread moved to Ubuntu/Debian BASED.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

If you select "Something Else" at the install screen, you should be able to install Ubuntu over Elementary. Make sure that you back up your /home folder FIRST. You might want to make separate / and /home partition, and then, once you restore the backup, you'll be able to install without losing your data.

Over the years, I have found that 32GB is plenty of space for /. The rest can be formatted as /home.

Good luck! Post here is you have any more questions.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Thanks for that I take it that hopefully it will chnage grub and not overwrite my MBR??

A second question, is it possible to boot a live Ubuntu and install from an SD Card??

Cheers