Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: well Gnome :(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

well Gnome :(

Last edited by Hreinsi; August 17th, 2018 at 11:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: well Gnome :(

Not a support request.

Moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think Ubuntu never should have ditched Gnome in the first place. The last time I seriously used Ubuntu was 10.10, which iirc was around or after the time of Unity being implemented as default. Props to Ubuntu for trying something new, but it was poorly executed, especially so soon after witnessing the "disaster" of KDE 4. Personally, I wish Ubuntu had continued using Gnome 2 and had worked together with the MATE fork during that time of transition.
    Last edited by RichardLinx; August 17th, 2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I like Unity, and once the initial teething problems were sorted thought it superior to Gnome.
    I dislike the Gnome devs apparent antipathy to the desktop. I have never really liked Gnome, always preferred KDE until KDE4.
    I still use many of the various desktops on various machines in different situations, and they all have their flaws.
    I did use Gnome on my main PC when I first updated to 18.04, but I reverted to Unity, as I prefer it.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Beans

I don't see what all the complaining is about as Gnome and Unity work great on my 8 year old and 10 year old out dated junk desktops.

It's kinda like all of the complaining about Linux Mint dropping KDE it ain't the end of the world and yes I to hate change.

I guess I should start complaining about Lubuntu dropping LXDE to LXQT but I ain't going to because I'll use something else if I don't like it.

Just my worthless opinion.

Life Is Good.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Won’t argue that the initial Unity releases were bumpy, but likewise with every FOSS product of comparable size and complexity that I’ve ever used. But Canonical made the correct choice not taking on responsibility for Gnome 2 maintenance and development. A basic reason Gnome killed it was the scale of fundamental problems that needed addressing to allow Gnome 2 to be the base the project could use to build the environment it thought needed building. Canonical would have had to address those issues to use Gnome 2 as the basis for the multi-platform future it then saw for itself. MATE has done wonderful work preserving the Gnome 2 approach for users who want that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Considering what Unity and Gnome were both looking to accomplish, it strikes me as bizarre that they decided not to work together. I know that people didn't like Gnome when it first came out, but by the time they got to around 3.6 it was pretty good and in many ways superior to Unity.

Beans

If memory serves, that did not happen, at least officially, because Unity patches elements of Gnome in ways the latter did not want to incorporate.

Beans

Gnome should be default - ubuntu should help patch it and make it better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

We should all be glad that we have a wide choice of desktop environments, unlike a certain other OS
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast