Thread: Drivers for Cherry card reader ST-1200USB

Beans

Question Drivers for Cherry card reader ST-1200USB

Good afternoon/ morning

(Depending on your time zone)
    I have used a Cherry card reader ST-1200USB for years.
    I need a card reader, because I submit my tax form online.
    When I switched from Windows to Ubuntu a few years ago, I was able to download the proper drivers so
    the Cherrry card reader could do its work in Ubuntu.

Yesterday I upgraded from 16.04 LTS to 18.04.1 LTS.
    During this upgrade, a lot of obsolete software got deleted, which isn't a bad thing of course.
    While getting to know 18.04.1, I decided to check whether my card reader still worked.
    Unfortunately, it didn't. Apparently, the drivers are considered obsolete software.

So went looking for Ubuntu compatible drivers for the Cherry card reader ST-1200USB.
    However, it seems that it is no longer possible to download drivers for my card reader.

If someone knows a trustworthy link to drivers for my card reader that are compatible with 18.04.1 LTS,
    I would be grateful.

If not, I would like to know which card readers can be used with Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Thank you in advance for your help!

deniseh

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Drivers for Cherry card reader ST-1200USB

Just to be sure, can you tell us what type of card you're asking about.
    I assume you mean a bank card, ie credit or debit card, and not a memory card of some kind?

Beans

Re: Drivers for Cherry card reader ST-1200USB

Oh, I am sorry. I need to elaborate further. By card reader I mean a device that is commonly used in Europe to read the data of an electronic ID-card. These card readers are needed when you want to fill out your tax return or consult your personal data such as taxes and other official data online on official government websites. BTW, electronic ID's are commonly referred to as EID. I used
    the Cherrry card reader ST-1200USB for years and it never failed me. I just noticed the drivers were obsolete when upgrading Ubuntu to 18.04.1.
    When I went looking for new drivers, I discovered that the drivers for that particular reader were no longer online.
    Before buying a new card reader, I want to know what my options are, because I want to buy a card reader which is 18.04.1 compatible.
    I don't mean a card reader for my bank card, because these are issued by the bank and don't need drivers to work for online banking.