Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Alternative to dropbox

Does any one know of an alternative to Dropbox?
    I have moved my conferencing app from Skype a US based service to Wire.com a Swiss based service and would like to move my dropbox account also to a non US based service.
    Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia K4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Alternative to dropbox

This site may interest you. The two biggest names in the outside-the-US cloud-space (you are not alone in your wishes) are MEGA and Sync.com, but others also exist. BTW, Sync.com is Canadian, which may interest you as a Canadian.

You might also wish to consider running your personal cloud server offshore. You would need to research the offshore locations, but many will set up an ownCloud server for you. Wikipedia has a decent summary on ownCloud.

NextCloud is a further alternative. They sell a self contained NextCloud box that is preconfigured to act as your own cloud storage. I believe that some company in Switzerland or Germany will also host such boxes so long as they are preconfigured and only need to be plugged into the net (they do not maintain). I don't remember the company's name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat for a more appropriate fit.

Beans

pcloud looks good, it is based in Switzerland

Beans
    Distro

I have a Synology NAS the company claim it can be accessed remotely.
    Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia K4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard

Beans
    Distro

Thanks I'll look into it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    This site may interest you. The two biggest names in the outside-the-US cloud-space (you are not alone in your wishes) are MEGA and Sync.com, but others also exist. BTW, Sync.com is Canadian, which may interest you as a Canadian.
    I was interested in Sync.com and contacted their support department. They do not have a linux client and didn't seem interested in creating one. I think the web interface would work with linux but I'm not clear that a web interface would automatically sync files. I haven't used a cloud service so am not really versed on how they work, I was looking for my initial experience.

I have a gmx.com email address and gmx includes 2 GB. free file storage. It doesn't seem like a cloud service because there's no automated file syncing, it's just plop your files there. It is possible to share stored files via an emailed link so a solution for moving or sharing larger files.
    Last edited by kurt18947; August 19th, 2018 at 12:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm using Nextcloud on an old raspberry Pi and old 100GB HDD as a server. It has worked very well for several months, holding 60gb of data. However, I am only using it internally as am a bit cautious about releasing it onto the WWW until I'm completely satisfied with it. It is so useful to be able to synchronise large amounts of data between several machines, plus the cost and power usage of a RPi is minimal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It seems to me that Nextcloud is the way to go.

I have various accounts spread across various cloud vendors and when I get around to it I want to move everything on to my own server.

Beans

As far as I know Slack bought one of the Dropbox competitors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast