Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LVM Ext2 always shows 0 free space!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: LVM Ext2 always shows 0 free space!

Quote Originally Posted by mfahey View Post
    Yeah, I know how to read and I did read that. Still leaves why I'm having a legitimate problem and getting newbie commands to run.
    There must be something easy I am missing or something wrong between versions of LVM as I stated the Ubuntu versions.
    We can't read minds and have to rule out common mistakes first.

Which file system is inside the LV? Normal ext4 or something funky?

LVM commands for PEs, VGs, and LVs don't show free/used storage. By posting that data, I classed you as a newbie to LVM.
    Usually when someone describes what they did, but doesn't show the actual commands used AND the output, but the results they expected didn't happen, it is because they used the wrong commands or had incorrect expectations. So, treat us like 7 yr old children and show us exactly what you did to prove why some storage amount should appear to be free in /mnt/fogimages.

Please.

Code:
    df -hT /mnt/fogimages  # show utilization before
    # ls -l  /mnt/fogimages/*jpg    # show the files, permissions, sizes BEFORE the delete
    # rm /mnt/fogimages/*jpg   # remove lots of files using full paths
    # ls -l  /mnt/fogimages/*jpg    # show the files are gone AFTER the delete
    df -hT /mnt/fogimages  # show utilization after
    At this point, I have a few guesses for what is happening, but need to see some commands AND output to make better guesses.
    My guesses:
    * btrfs used somehow. btrfs lies about utilization to du and df. Unlikely since btrfs does LVM-like management. To get real disk information under btrfs, must use btrfs utilities.
    * somehow the 5% reserved for root storage got filled, so df isn't reporting less than 100% until you are really at 95% used. tune2fs will show the current file system config for root reserved blocks on ext3/4 file systems.
    * the deletions failed due to permissions. Unlikely, but ...
    * may be using some less common file system.
    * snapshot mounted, not the main LV? In the text above you mounted /mnt/images, but that isn't what is being shown in commands later.
    * Bug somewhere. Doubtful it is in LVM, IMHO. Check the bug reporting system.

But the output from some commands will quickly remove most of those from the possibilities. People do weird things and forget they did, then never mention those weird things when troubleshooting later.

Beans

I have provided all information as requested. What other information would you like?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Please post the full results of the commands as requested.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Please post the full results of the commands as requested.
    In addition to this, can you please post the output of this command?

Code:
    mount
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12