0anacron

cron.weekly:
    0anacron apt-xapian-index man-db update-notifier-common

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Where is my cron tab?

Just a Note: it's not recommended to handle these files by hand. Per crontab man page:

Each user can have their own crontab, and though
    these are files in /var/spool/cron/crontabs, they are not
    intended to be edited directly.
    Example:
    Code:
    cd /var/spool/cron/
    bash: cd: /var/spool/cron/: Permission denied
    Files under /var/spool are considered temporary/working, that's why they will probably get deleted during an upgrade, though a closer look at the cron package's upgrade scripts may shed some light on this.

Anyway, it's always a good practice to back up your cron entries or keep them in a file in your home directory.

I'ts stored inside /var/spool/cron/crontabs folder under username.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I prefer to use /etc/crontab for things that require root access. You can edit that with a normal editor and sudo.

I like having everything in one place.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I'm not getting this at all. It was pretty favored all over the net to use crontab -e This seemed like the "right" way to do it. There other way was to make a file in cron.d (that seemed less correct) now if I do the /etc/crontab I see its empty so I'm not rally following that.

"I like having everything in one place." Ok sure but the OS or many installs, stuff cron's in the weeklydaily,monthy folders. So how is that one place? When running the list of jobs it suggests there are weekly daily and months crons. I'm trying to make a by yearly. So not even sure where that fits in.

"it's not recommended to handle these files by hand." I don't understand this? I also do not get what the man is saying. spool? - I never used a spool folder. If you can not create a cron by hand (crontab -e) how are you to make a job?

Is there maybe a gui, I have x and k(5.4) environments but seems the task management is removed in k.
    Last edited by ulao3; August 11th, 2018 at 05:17 PM.

Beans

I was able to install gnome-schedual but now I have another problem here?

I want to run rsyn to back up my disk to my network drive. And my user is missing permissions. Is there a way to run rsync without a password for root (guessing not) or as a daemon . I tried to run gnome-schedual as root and it does not run because of a missing home dir or something.
    Last edited by ulao3; August 11th, 2018 at 06:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Run it from root's crontab. If you don't want to use /etc/crontab, then use "sudo crontab -e" which will edit the file /var/spool/cron/root.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users